Dream Theater

bu

Barstool Warrior odlicna, lagano nesto najbolje sto sam cuo od njih od Octavariuma naovamo. 8.5/10

Room 137 najlosija na albumu uz Paralysed. Bas smecasto. 3/10

Untethered Angel mi je bolja u sklopu albuma ali i dalje njah. 5/10

Fall Into the Light solidna, srednji dio mi je i dalje super. 6.5/10

S2N - bas dobra. Jedan od rijetkih refrena koji mi je pamtljiv na albumu, plus onaj breakdown na kraju sa solazom, mnogo dobro. 8/10

At Wit's End - Pitao sam se kako ne crkne dok svira onaj rif na pocetku. Dosta dosadan refren "Don't leave me now". Nikad da se zavrse solaze, a dosadnjikave. Sve u svemu, smuti pa prospi pjesma. 6/10

Out of Reach - meh. Nekad su radili super balade. 5/10

Pale Blue Dot - Ako znam... proggy je to sve, ali ne drzi me. 6.5/10

Viper King super. Mocan rif, poletan refren, predobar bridge, kratka ali jaka pjesma. 8/10

Sve u svemu, bas sam prijatno iznenadjen albumom. Nakon one prve tri pjesme sam mislio da ce biti smece. Produkcija je odlicna, pun, mastan zvuk, Mangini je razbio, Petrucci i Rudess standarno dobri, Myung...se cuje dobro. La Brie, jbg... Barem se ne forsira previse. Uzivo ce to u visim registrima da zvuci nakaradno, ali nista novo. 

7/10

• Like 1

Da ne ponavljam vec receno u predhodnim postovima sa kojim se vecinom slazem.
Generalni utisak je da sam prijatno iznenadjen albumom posle duzeg vremena. 

Favoriti su za sada sledecim redom:

Barstool Warrior 
S2N
At Wit's End
Viper King 
Room 137
Pale Blue Dot

Unthetered Angel
Fall Into The Light

Paralysed - nije bila potrebna. 

Edited by Erotomaniac

Raduje me da vidim pozitivne komentare za Distance over time. Album je svakako najenergičniji i najkohezivniji u poslednje vreme. Nažalost, svakoj od pesama sam našao poneku zamerku, ima dosta underwhelming meh momenata koji sprečavaju neke od pesama da mi budu baš odlične, ali u načelu ništa na albumu nije pogrešno niti loše. Mislim da bih kao highlightove izdvojio Pale blue dot i Paralyzed. 

E sad, ono što svuda primećujem je da se ljudi kojima je legao ovaj album vraćaju na The Astonishing da provere da li su nešto propustili. :haha: S ozbirom na to da sam ja baš fan tog albuma, evo jedne mini plejliste pesama koje su krucijalne na albumu i takođe neke od mojih favorita: 

The Gift of music

Three days

Ravenskill

A Tempting offer

A New beginning

The Path that divides

Our new world

• 2 weeks later...

Meni "the Astonishing" ni malo nije legao... nekako mi previse onih intro gluposti i nekih kvazi pesama gde klavijature nesto drljaju pola sata bez da krene nesto konkretno :D
A ovaj novi, "Distance over Time" mi je na prvo slusanje OK, Untethered Angel bas dobra pesma, pogotovu mi se svidja onaj deo spota gde Petrucci pece rostilj :D

uspeo sam pola da preslusam. bas sejf album, ocekivano posle one katastrofe od albuma. 

potpuno nepotreban album u mom zivotu, ako hocu ovaj zvuk slusacu stari DT i onih 15-20 DT klon albuma iz 90ih koji su bolji od ovih novih radova :D 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, Angelystor said:

Meni ovo najslušljiviji album od ADToE pa na ovamo....iliti "bolje nego prethodna dva". Uspeh? Ne naročito.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:18 PM, azal said:

bas sejf album,

Ovo je i moje misljenje, s tim sto mi nista ne ostaje u glavi apsolutno.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Znao sam sustinu pjesme, ali nikad ne bih provalio da su ovako daleko isli i vodili racuna o svakom detalju, muzicki pogotovo. Inace, uvijek je slusam od 14-og minuta nadalje. 

OCTAVARIUM

Spoiler

The song is about Dream Theater and their influence on progressive rock. The first 13 and a half minutes of that song sound very similar to pink floyd, yes, genesis, the beatles, and many other progressive rock pioneers. This is done on purpose, considering that they started the genre, so Dream Theater started the song by playing their music very much like their influences - "i never wanted to become someone like him" basically means Dream Theater, when they were young, never wanted to be like their influences because they wanted to be independent. However no matter how hard they try they will end up being just like them in some way, although still original - "Then all I swore that I would never be was now, so suddenly, the only thing, I wanted, to become, to be someone just like him."

The next part of the song is sort of a metaphoric explanation of how Dream Theater became like them, other than that there is not much i can explain.

At about 14 minutes into the song, a strong, very progressive metalish riff comes into play, and that is where the line "Isn't this where we came in?" (sample from Pink Floyd The Wall) is heard. The basic reason for this quote is to explain that at this point in time (around 1989), Dream Theater opened the door to a new genre (Progmetal, for those of you who dont know). Now Dream Theater realizes that they will always be like their fathers, and yet original, so they pay homage to their influences in this section.

- Sailing on the seven seize the day tripper, diem's ready
...sailing on the seven seas: OMD song
...seize the day: famous DT line from A Change of Seasons
...day tripper: Beatles song
...diem's ready: Carpe Diem from A Change of Seasons

-Jack the ripper, Owen's Wilson Phillips and my supper's ready
...jack the ripper: Judas Priest song
...owen wilson: if you dont know this youre retarded
...phillips and my: not sure lol
...supper's ready: Genesis song

-Lucy in the sky with diamond, Dave's not here ive come to save the day
...lucy in the sky with diamonds: Beatles song
...daves not here: Yes song

-For nightmare cinema show me the way to get back home again
...nightmare cinema: antonym to Dream Theater, and also a joke band they made with Derek Sherinian (former DT keyboardist)
...home: Dream Theater song

-Eugene Gene the dance machine messiah, light my fire, gabba gabba hey hey
...gene gene the dance machine: TV character from the 70-80s
...machine messiah: Yes song
...light my fire: Doors song
...gabba gabba hey: Ramones song

-Hey hey my my generation's home again
...hey hey my my: Neill Young song
...my generation: The Who song
...home again: Dream Theater song again

The next part, Intervals, is about the songs on the album Octavarium itself.
I need not explain, just read this:

The Root of All Evil
Root
Our deadly sins feel his mortal wrath 
Remove all obstacles from our path 

The Answer Lies Within
Second
Asking questions 
Search for clues 
The answer's been right in front of you 

These Walls
Third
We try to break free 
Long to connect 
Fall on deaf ears with failed muted breath 

I Walk Beside You
Fourth
Loyalty, trust, faith and desire 
Carries love through each darkest fire 

Panic Attack
Fifth
Tortured insanity 
A smothering hell 
Try to escape but to no avail 

Never Enough
Sixth
The calls of admirers 
Who claim they adore 
Drain all your lifeblood while begging for more 

Sacrificed Sons
Seventh
Innocent victims for merciless crimes 
Fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs 

Octavarium
Octave
Step after step 
We try controlling our fate 
When we finally start living it's become too late 

Root second third fourth fifth sixth seventh and octave are musical intervals, thus the name of the section. And all the songs on Octavarium are on different scales spaced interavally: Root of all evil is in F, Answer lies within is in G, These walls is in A, I walk beside you is in B, Panic attack is in C, Never enough is in D, Sacrificed sons is in E, and Octavarium is in F, therefore making that album a full circle.

TRAPPED INSIDE THIS OCTAVARIUM basically means that the band cannot be different or independent anymore because they have already defined themselves.

A perfect sphere
Colliding with our fate
The story ends where it began

Notice the first note in The Root Of All Evil is an F, well the last note in Octavarium is the same F, making it a full circle and saying that the story ends where it began musically as well.

• Like 2