Blind Guardian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Nego, nikada to nisam saznao...

zasto nemaju Bas Dzitru u postavi ??

Pa Hansi svira studijski, i svirao je na prvim albumima koncertno, ali mu je smetalo nije mogao da pjeva....pa sada samo studijski koliko ja znam, ako je to u pitanju...

A imaju jednog basistu (zaboravio sam ime), koji stalno ide sa njima na turneje...

A zasto nije u stalnoj postavi, najvjerovatnije zato sto vec 15 god rade zajedno i tako su najkompaktniji!!!

Jel najavljuju li ista novo?

Pozdrav

Interview

The questions were divided by the band members to be replied. I still haven't received André's answers, but I will post what I have for now. Enjoy!

Are you planning an album with an orchestra? What about a new live album? Or a DVD?

Marcus: We are thinking about another live album in the moment. Nothing is confirmed yet but the chances for another one in the not too far away future are pretty good... Concerning an album with an orchestra, until now we never realy needed one :-)

Of course it would be cool to work with one some time but good orchestras are rather expensive and the songwriting and recording doesn´t realy get easier when an orchestra is involved, so I guess we´ll stick to keyboards.

Is any of the material you wrote for the Lord of the Rings movie ever going to be released?

Hansi: We haven ´t exclusively written anything for the movie. But as mentioned we have had the perfect pieces of music for such an event - at least we thought so. As we have worked on that orchestral stuff over the last few year it is natural that we are going to release it one day. We still work on the music and its concept. So its release lies somewhere in a not to close future.

The only thing to say about it: It will be huge and different to what ever you have heard before. We have started the whole thing during the "Nightfall …" production and I always have the feeling that these tunes are far better than the "Nightfall …" songs and will present a far more remarkable and unique sounding than "NIME" did. Don ´t get me wrong, I still love "Nightfall …", but it has been the more meldious and catchy attitude who made me fall in love with those other songs. One day you can make a quote, yourself.

Ever thought of doing a song with Tarja from Nightwish?

Hansi: No. We simply don ´t write songs fitting to her voice, so it wouldn ´t make sense at all.

There was a noticeable change in the style of playing in the last album, regarding the rhythm sections (guitar and bass), where they got a seemingly less important role in your music. Do you plan to keep it like this? NIME was less heavy than usual, hopefully you will regain some of your power in the new album.

Hansi: This question is almost impossible to answer. At least I have a completely different opinion, with regard to "NIME". Especially the bass guitar has played a far more important role on that one. This is simply based on the fact, that Oliver plays excellent patterns, worth to be recognized, while I simply have followed rhythm guitars. As for the rhythm guitars I would say, they have been of no major importance on any of our previous releases. This partly will be changed on the new album, where they at some points got a more important role to play. The new album will contain a more balanced mixing than "Nightfall …" had. This might give a completely different impression in terms of heaviness and priority status of any instrument to you. We constantly regain power, so the new album will be a powerful one. But, if You watch it as a powerful album or not, will pretty much depend on your individual point of view. Would any of you describe "The Curse of Feanor", "Time Stands Still", or "When Sorrow Sang" as not powerful?

What´s your religion? So what do you guys believe in? Or do you even have the same religion? The words in one song 'But we didn´t kill your christ' made me wonder.

Hansi: I am a faithful but very critical Christian. The line is drawn from "The Script For My Requiem" - a song about a crusader getting home and recognizing his failure. He simply lives the nightmares of war day by day and constantly hears the moans and wails of victims announcing their innocence. One reason for the crusades has been the purpose of clerical people to release the occupied city of Jerusalem from so called heathens and the murders of Christ. That is where these words relate to.

Marcus: I am Roman Catholic but I’m not very religious. I believe that the person Jesus Christ really lived and I am absolutely behind his basic message, but I don’t believe that he was the son of god (I don’t believe in god), to me he was a very charismatic person with a great view of how people should live together. The problem is that the church as an institution doesn’t seem to care too much about what he preached 2000 years ago, otherwise there would have been no things like crusades or holy wars (this is not restricted to the christian church only). If there really is a god (no matter if is a christian, muslim or whatever god, or if they all are the same…) I just can’t imagine that he wants his temples to be full of gold and jewellery when there still are lots of people starving…

Thomen: I´m a Lutheranian. I believe in God, but not in shape of a person or a creature. I think that God is a kind of energy which finds reflexion in our own human activities and handlings on the environment. If good or bad, it will be up to us. God is only a name, created by us humans, for this kind of energy.

Will the band ever release OFFICIAL tablature books?

Marcus: To be honest I don’t know yet. I wrote down a couple of our songs which will appear on the homepage soon, but here I stuck to the acoustic songs since they are pretty easy to write down. Writing down a song like Time stands still for example would be really a lot work, there are so many different guitar-voices in there, it would be a hell of a job to write all of them down if you knew them all, and this is exactly the big problem. It wouldn’t be a big problem to write down what I play live and I guess that would be the same with André’s parts but I just don’t know every voice that was played during the recordings and I also doubt that Andre still knows all of them because when we practice our stuff we of course only can play these live versions. Maybe we should think about releasing a songbook for Tokyo Tales…

What are your expectations from the Lord of the Rings movies? What do you think about the fact that the story will not be faithfully followed?

Marcus: By what I’ve seen in the trailers I expect it to become one of my favourite movies, not only because it is about the Lord of the Rings. I guess it will become my kind of “fantasy Star Wars”, at least it looks as good as Star Wars and I guess I don’t have to tell anybody how much I love the story of T.L.o.t.R. Concerning this fact that story will not faithfully followed, well, I didn’t know that until now J I guess it is ok if they don’t make too drastic changes but to judge this I have to wait until I’ve seen the complete movie. But generally I guess it will be very hard for the movie to convince a lot of the die hard fans just because these guys read the books a lot of times and have a very special image of the whole story and the characters in their minds, created by what their own imagination made of the books. If now somebody else tries to make a movie of this, but his image of the story differs from the one of these guys they will crucify him because he “raped” their favourite story.

Thomen: It´s hard to still wait for it to come in the cinemas. It will be the best movie ever been there, if my expectations aren´t betraying me now!! I don´t care if they follow the story correctly or, the effects and the atmosphere will speak for itself and shall stand for outstanding quality! Even the trailer is superb, already.

Hansi: This one more time proves, that Thomen is not into books and great fantasy literature at all. But he partly is right. As long as the story still rules and the whole atmosphere fits, I could live with changes as well. Although I must confess drastic changes would be an offend and should strictly be prohibited..

Hansi, do you use any special technique for singing like you do? Did you have special training?

Hansi: I have worked without a special training on "B.O.F." and "F.T.B.", had a friend showing me some technical things before we have done "T.F.T.W.", haven ´t done anything before "S.F.B.", but started a classical education after getting back from Japan in 1992. Eversince I have worked with the same coach once a week, but also practise my lessons almost on a daily level. To explain the whole procedure would be very boring and without sense. I would strongly recommend lessons to everyone willing to become a vocalist.

What do you think of all the new power metal bands like Rhapsody, Secret Sphere, Dark Moor, etc, who were influenced by Blind Guardian and are boring the fans with poor songs and lyrics?

Thomen: I would not say, that they are boring, because everybody has a different taste. For me personally, there are too many of them, sounding exactly the same. Every band has a legal right of existance and the right to express themselves in the way they want to, but these bands also have to consider that playing a similar styles to other already existing successful bands is not a guarantee for a successful career..

Hansi: None of the mentioned occur as too Blind Guardian influenced to me. I think, they play the right kind of music and are on their way to establish their own style. Whether you like it or not, at least Rhapsody, of the ones mentioned, have proven longevity, perseverance and established their own thing. Lyrics are always a fragile matter.

Will you tour with Iced Earth? You could play Demons & Wizards songs!

Thomen: Right at the moment nothing´s 100% planned with them for the nearer future. If we play in the USA next tour, it will be possible that we will play some shows with them. Would be a nice thing. We´ll see, if we even play some of the Demons and Wizards-Songs then.

Are you going to write about real-live topics, besides fantasy topics? Do you truly believe in what you write, or is it just a job for you?

Hansi: I have done writing about real topics, but some people do not recognize it. My lyrics will never become obvious. I don ´t like that. "Ashes to Ashes", "Theatre of Pain", "Born in a Mourning Hall" are just a few examples to prove the truth of my statement. I enjoy my own invention of illusions and the ones implied by storytellers, movies etc.. Do I believe in it? I believe in music and I believe in the positive vibes of a story. It is part of my reality. If it is only a job for me? Ask my wife.

Why did you start playing a more Epic Metal style, instead of the more Power/Speed metal style of your old albums?

Marcus: I guess it was a natural development. In the early years we have not been able to write and play other songs like the stuff on the first albums, but over the years we became better musicians and songwriters. With this new ability we could try things that we always wanted to play, but that have been impossible for us before and this, step by step, lead to the style we are playing today.

Will you release a video for a song in the new album?

Thomen: We are planning to make a video for one song of the album, but it´s not been confirmed, yet. The tv-stations are not really playing and supporting metal-bands on tv, anymore - at least here in Germany. We alway have to think twice if we really produce a video or not, because the expenses are extremely high.

Have you ever thought about an 'Blind Guardian Unplugged Album', where you only play new songs, which sounds similar to 'A Past and Future secret'?

Marcus: No, not realy. A new album only with songs like "A past and future Secret" would be a very limited thing to us, we prefer to have more variatons on an album, otherwise it would become too boring. You also don´t write a song like that every day so if we realy would plan to do something like that it would be a long time project I guess... On the other hand it was fun to play accustic versions of our heavy stuff like we did on the Forgotten Tales allbum or during some accustic sets on the last tour, we might do something like that again in the future, but in the moment nothing like that is planned.

What kind of education do you have?

Thomen: After school I made my civil-service and worked in my father´s company as a roofer, but broke my lessons off in `91 to be there for the band, only. Anyway, this job was a little too dangerous for me in the end and I hope that I never have to get back to this job.

Will the songs in the Lucifer's Heritage demos ever be released? Where can we get these?

Hansi: The songs might be released in propper and actual versions one day. Before that is going to happen, a lot of water will run down the river. We may find a way to provide you with the demo stuff in the nearer future. Let ´s see what Jason and Pedro can do for you.

What was the funniest thing that ever happened to the band?

Marcus: To me one of the funniest moments was the night when “Iced Deutsch” was invented. It was during our second tour with Iced Earth, we made a break at a gas station on the highway in the middle of the night and went to get some drinks and snacks. Everybody was in a great mood when Jon suddenly started to speak “Iced Deutsch”, which means he used every German word that came to his mind, no matter if it made sense or not, or if he even knew it’s meaning, and held very big, intense speeches, declared us all to knights of the table round & stuff like that. He even had a real (& looong) conversation with Richey (the I.E.-Drummer on that tour) and everybody was rolling on the floor laughing.

Thomen, why do you have so a good condition although you smoke like a burning house? Are there any special drummer tricks or a oxid mask under your drum? What are your favorite cigarettes?

Marcus: Who says that Thomen has a good condition… ;-)

Thomen: There´s no special trick, but a little kind of technic from your legs and feet surely is necessary. But believe me that I myself sometimes wonder, that I still have such good condition, although I smoke so much. I really have to quit, or at least reduce smoking, because without cigarettes everything would work even easier, that´s for sure!! I really have to practice hard before a tour, just to get my condition back after having had such a long break during the recording-months of the others. My favourite cigarettes are: Philip Morris -Light American-Filter

Do any members of Blind Guardian watch anime (Japanese Animation)? What are your favorites? Would you do any songs about it?

Marcus: I’m no fan of anime-movies, the only one I’ve ever seen was Akira and to me it was pretty boring. Since everybody told me that this one was supposed to be one of the best I absolutely lost all my interest in anime, before that I was at least curious. If it comes animated movies I prefer stuff like Toy Story, A bug’s life or Shrek.

Since Hansi has just took part in having a child, how has this changed his perspective on life and his writing for future?

Hansi: My perspective of life is pretty much the same than it has been before, which is: "In the end everything will turn out well - somehow." Knowing Magnus, Thomen and André for so many years encourages me to say, that this is also the band ´s parole. The amount of responsibility surely has increased drastically. Apart from Sept. 11 and its consequences, this is a great feeling and the most exciting challenge. Songwritingwise: Who knows what the future will bring. I don ´t see me or the band writing a high amount of lullabies and lullaby poems.

I wonder who the second singer on Symphonies of Doom is?

Thomen: It´s the second guitarist from the demo, called Markus Dörk. He was an old school friend of André and is still a good friend to us all. No idea, why we ever let him sing this parts. Maybe Hansi didn´t get his voice so high! ;-) Sorry Hansi!

Ja sam neko vreme prestao da ih slusam ( zasicenje valjda.. ) al to je samo trajalo mesec-dva... a i slusao sam neke nove bendove koji su mi se dopali... sada sam ih se uzeleo... ipak su oni jedan od najboljih bendova... ( meni... )

Bash me zanima taj LotR music projekat....

Nabavio sam onaj DVD BGa...

Mnogo je dobar...

Mislish na Imaginatons thruogh the looking glass-stvarno odlican koncert,samo po meni fale neke odkljucnih pesama sa Tales from the twilight world,npr Welcome to Dying ili Lost in a ,pa cak i Into the storm..................Josh kad bi i Kai otpevao one strofe za ovu pomenutu i Valhalu........ma bilo bi previshe dobro........... icon_rockdevil.gif