Tiamat

Vampyr Poet

kraca biografija (sa rockdetector.com)

TIAMAT

Rockdetector Biography

A Gothic Death Metal combo out of Täby, masterminded by Johan Edlund, that has evolved chameleon like with each successive release. Less tastefully known in their formative years as TREBLINKA, during which time vocalist Johan Edlund also pursued his side project GENERAL SURGERY, the Swedish quartet adopted the title of the Sumerian goddess of chaos and mythical planet TIAMAT. The band has evolved from a derivative Speed Metal / Death act to a more substantial stance in offering aggression with adventurous Progressive variances.

As TREBLINKA the band consisted of vocalist/guitarist Johan Hedlund ("Lucifer Hellslaughter"), bassist Klas Wistedt, guitarist Stefan Lagergren ("Emetic") and drummer Andreas Holmberg ("Najse Auschwitzer"). This unit released the 1988 demo 'Crawling In Vomits' and follow up tape 'The Sign Of The Pentagram' in 1989. Also emerging that year would be the ' Severe Abomination' EP.

Upon taking the TIAMAT moniker the group issued the September 1990 debut album 'Sumerian Cry' through C.M.F.T. Productions. However, the band would be rocked with constant re-shuffling of personnel. For the ‘A Winter Shadow’ single, released in December 1990 by CBR Records, the band personnel would be credited as Hellslaughter, guitarist A.D. Lord, bass player Jorgen Thullberg ("Juck the Ripper") and drummer Oakbeach.

TIAMAT toured Europe in 1991 with label mates UNLEASHED. 1992's 'Astral Sleep' album saw both Lagergren and Holmberg depart for EXPULSION and the record was recorded by vocalist/guitarist Johan Edlund, guitarist Thomas Petersson, bassist Jörgen Thulberg and drummer Niklas Ekstrand.

The band's 1993 line up comprised of Edlund, keyboard player Kenneth Roos and drummer Ekstrand. Live gigs were performed with Edlund, Roos and guitarist Thomas Petersson. However, musical differences saw TIAMAT split following a 1993 tour of Europe to promote the 'Clouds' album with UNLEASHED and MORGOTH. Petersen and Roos departed, leaving Johan Edlund to carry on with a new line up that included ex-SORCEROR bassist Johnny Hagel. The 'Sleeping Beauty- Live In Isreal' was recorded in Tel Aviv in June 1993. Later shows found the band touring alongside PARADISE LOST and VOODOO CULT.

1994's Space Rock charged 'Wildhoney' album found keyboards contributed by GRIP INC. guitarist Waldemar Sorychta and the single choice, 'Gaia', included a cover version of PINK FLOYD's 'When You're In' as one of the additional tracks. Predictably the line-up fluxed yet again with Ekstrand and Petersson discharging themselves and drummer Lars Skold welcomed into the fold. Former CELEBORN guitarist Magnus Sahlgren sessioned on 'Wildhoney' and was kept on for tour work. Sahlgren subsequently joined DISMEMBER and LAKE OF TEARS.

The band toured as support to TYPE O NEGATIVE in Europe during 1994 and TIAMAT successfully headlined the 1995 Dynamo Festival in Holland and toured Britain as support to BLACK SABBATH. The same year a limited edition album, 'A Musical History Of Tiamat', would give fans further live material in the form of an extra CD.

1997's 'A Deeper Kind Of Slumber' heralded another shift in TIAMAT's musical landscape as Edlund ventured into distinctly ambitious Progressive Rock territory.Naturally the ebb and flow of band members continued unabated too with CEMETARY's Anders Iwers enrolling on guitar as in a straight swap Johnny Hagel joined CEMETARY. The ex-TIAMAT man would later be found ensconced in SUNDOWN before pursuing his own CINNAMON SPIRAL and LITHIUM projects. Meanwhile further internal manoeveres in TIAMAT saw Iwers shifting to bass when Petersson rejoined later. Iwers would also find extracurricular activities deputising for Italian act LACUNA COIL after both their guitarists pulled out of an October 1997 tour at short notice. European dates in November of 1999 saw the band supported by ANATHEMA.

TIAMAT returned with the 2000 Gothic infused 'Skeleton Skeletron' outing. Petersson bailed out yet again. The band, complete once more with a yoyo-ing Petersson bouncing back, got to grips with a November European package tour alongside running mates ANATHEMA and TRISTANIA.

Johan Edlund struck out on a no frills Gothic Rock n' Roll direction with the 2001 solo side project LUCYFIRE. Scoring a deal with SPV Records LUCYFIRE issued 'This Dollar Saved My Life at Whitehorse'. Edlund, billing himself as "Notorious PIG" for the LUCYFIRE endeavour also assembled a live band for an appearance at the 'Mera Luna' festival in Hildesheim, Germany. The same year lleading German Gothic Rock act LOVE LIKE BLOOD would cover 'Whatever That Hurts' for their covers album 'Chronology Of A Love Affair'.

The 2002 TIAMAT album 'Judas Christ', which once again garnered the band chart success in Sweden, would see American variants adding the bonus cut 'Cold Last Supper' plus a video clip of 'Vote For Love'. European summer festival appearances throughout July and August for the band included showings at the German 'Zillo' and 'Summer Breeze' events as well as Spain's 'Rock Machina' festival, the Czech 'Brutal Assault' open air gig and the Viennese 'Metalfest'.

TIAMAT would embark upon touring in mainland Europe as part of a co-billing with PAIN. Regular guitarist Thomas Petersson would be unable to participate, being replaced temporarily by SOUTHFORK's Henrik Bergqvist. DARK TRANQUILLITY's Martin Brändström would handle the keyboard duties.

A brand new Johan Edlund produced TIAMAT album 'Prey' in October of 2003 would be preceded by the single 'Cain', this release including a cover version of W.A.S.P.'s 'Sleeping (In The Fire)'. Former TIAMAT touring keyboard player P.A. Danielsson was killed in a car accident in Italy on 26th November 2004. He was 35 years old.

The band reported a European road alliance with SIRENIA, THEATRE OF TRAGEDY and PAIN to take them through late 2004 and into 2005. For these concerts the band would be joined by TALISMAN guitarist Fredrik "Kulle" Åkesson, replacing regular guitarist Thomas Petersson detained by "parental duties", and DARK TRANQUILLITY keyboard player Martin Brändström.

user posted image

Edited by slowdiver

Taj WDR Rockpalast je bio negde bas pocetkom 1995., kada je Wild Honey bio prava senzacija... Johan je imao kosu, ali je izgledao kao da ide vec 3 godine na hemoterapiju. icon_smile.gif Imam taj konc jos negde na nekoj video kaseti... Secam se da sam se hvalio svima kako jedan metal bend svira na Rockpalastu, jer je WDR-R bas drzao do kvaliteta u to vreme. Uopste, Wild Honey je prvi album koji sam ravnopravno mogao da potezem u diskusijama sa napaljenim fanovima Floyd-a, koji nisu mogli da veruju kako nesto sto ja preporucim nije samo "besmisleno drljanje". Mnogi su kasnije otkidali na The Visionare ili Gaia-u. biggrin.gif Mislim da sam Peri prvi put kad je bio kod mene bas dao Wild Honey and the rest is history. icon_biggrin.gif

Ja imam onaj stari koncert iz Krakowa,sa Wildhoney turneje.Ne znam,meni je ono vrh vrhova,definitivno najbolji video zapis koji sam gledao,uz mozda Anathemu,takodje u Krakowu 1995.

Jedino me nervira sto nije bilo ograde,pa poljaci nekoliko puta skacu na binu i vriste ko seljaci na mikrofon.

da, da.. ima onaj deo kad se jedan lik popne i zagrli Johan-a, sav srecan, a ovaj je sve nesto u fazonu, "gde su sad ovi redari.." icon_smile.gif

ili kad su poceli da sviraju Gaia-u, pa se onaj lik popne, prodere se nesto, pa skoci nazad..

ima i onaj momenat kad treba da pocnu A Pocket Size Sun, pa se Johan iznervira sto se svi Poljaci deru stalno ko nenormalni, pa kaze "quiet, pleeeease" icon_smile.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Zlikovac

Oni su nesto najlepshe shto sam ikada chuo, i muzika i textovi i glas sve je dojaj !!!

Nema nishta bolje od "For Her Pleasure" kad se osecam melanholichno za nekom ribom :]

A deeper kind of slumber je fenomenalan album,ali meni je ipak najdrazi i najbolji Wildhoney

ja mislim da je vrhunac tiamata bio wildhoney i to mi je, uz ovaj gorenavedeni , mnogo dobar album

ali nekako , brzo se upamte sve pesme, pa se ne vracam tako cesto

dok sam slumber slusao milion puta i nokad mi ni malo ne dosadi

to je zapravo jedini album koji slusam vec deset godina

cesto volim da cujem i samael - jupiterian vibe koji sam nabavio otprilike u tom periodu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Meni lično je bolji A deeper kind of slumber nego Wildhoney, mada su u suštini oba genijalna. Skeleton Skeletron je drastičan pad kvaliteta u odnosu na oba. Zamenili su kompleksnost i psihodeliju za neki osrednji i bledunjavi Sisters fazon, a Sistersi su i sami osrednji i bledunjavi.

Meni lično je bolji A deeper kind of slumber nego Wildhoney, mada su u suštini oba genijalna. Skeleton Skeletron je drastičan pad kvaliteta u odnosu na oba. Zamenili su kompleksnost i psihodeliju za neki osrednji i bledunjavi Sisters fazon, a Sistersi su i sami osrednji i bledunjavi.

:da: :da: :da:

u potpunosti se slazem

meni se svidjaju i ovi stari, ali navedena 2 su i meni najbolja

svaki na svoj nachin

• 2 weeks later...

posto sam danas, pogodjen Moonspell-ovim fenomenalnim koncertom, otisao u nekakvu nostalgiju slusajuci po ceo dan Moonspell. Tiamat, Samael i My Dying Bride, odlucio sam da sve Tiamat fanove obradujem aploudovanjem jednog sjajnog intervjua kojeg sam i sam trazio nekih 9.5 godina i uspeo pre nekog vremena da ga pronadjem, i eto, odlucio da ga podelim i sa vama.

u pitanju je intervju iz 1997. iz casopisa Terrorizer, neposredno po izlasku fenomenalnog albuma A Deeper Kind Of Slumber.

terror41tiamat1ih1.jpg

terror41tiamat2au8.jpg