Sanctuary

RNA

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184597

SANCTUARY 'A Few Days' Away From Officially Signing With CENTURY MEDIA RECORDS - Jan. 8, 2013

Reunited '80s cult metal outfit SANCTUARY is "a few days" away from "officially" signing to Century Media Records, according to the band's lead singer, Warrel Dane.

Asked about the progress of the songwriting sessions for SANCTUARY's "comeback" album — tentatively titled "The Year The Sun Died" — Dane told GetYourRockOut in August 2012, "We've got so much stuff written that it's hard to sort through, but we played two new songs [at the Bloodstock Open Air festival]. We played the one ballad, it's called 'I Am Low', and we played another one called 'The World Is Wired'. Some of the other stuff is a little heavier, but those songs, I think, are… Sometimes the stuff that isn't as heavy is stronger, so that's why we picked those."

He added, "I don't think anybody is gonna be disappointed, because I am involved in the creative process and I know what's going on and I know where we're going and I know it's gonna be killer."

Regarding how SANCTUARY's reformation came about, Dane told Rock My Monkey TV, "[sANCTUARY guitarist Lenny Rutledge and I] always talked to each other, but never really been friends again. And when the whole thing came about, that we were actually friends again, that's when we started talking more about doing it. And it definitely wasn't because NEVERMORE was imploding... which it was, at that point . . . We all just started talking with each other again. That was kind of the groundwork for it. And then we started saying, 'Well, gosh, let's make music again.' And my god! Lenny is writing some stuff that is so friggin great! Obviously, he's been bottling this up for years, because he really hasn't been doing anything... Well, he's had bands here and there. But he's really writing some great stuff that's really inspiring me, and making me fall in love with music again, with the creative process... everything that revolves around that. Really inspiring me to write really evil lyrics."

On the topic of the sound of SANCTUARY's upcoming studio album, Dane said, "This record is not going to sound like the other two. It might sound very similar to the second one ('Into The Mirror Black'). It's definitely not going to sound like the first one, because we're all a little bit older and I can't come up with a c-clamp for a scrotum and a helium tank . . . It's not going to sound like the old ones... it's 2011. It's still gonna be that good, I think, and there's gonna be high-pitched screaming. I'm making sure of that. With NEVERMORE, high-pitched screaming was never really called for. You know, with SANCTUARY... of course it is."

SANCTUARY in 2011 tapped Brad Hull (FORCED ENTRY) to play second guitar for the band.

Hull has spent the last few years playing the role of "James Hetfield" in the METALLICA tribute band BLISTERED EARTH, which plays "classic songs ranging from 1983's 'Kill 'Em All' to 1991's self-titled 'Metallica'."

SANCTUARY's current touring lineup:

Warrel Dane - Vocals

Lenny Rutledge - Guitar

Brad Hull - Guitars

Jim Sheppard - Bass

Dave Budbill - Drums

• 4 months later...

Century Media Records is proud to announce the signing of the legendary Seattle metal band SANCTUARY. In 2010, four of the founding members, Warrel Dane, Jim Sheppard, Lenny Rutledge and Dave Budbill, came together for a few select reunion performances. At first, it was just going to be a handful of shows, but the response and chemistry on stage was so overwhelming that the guys changed their minds. Now, some 20 years after they left off, SANCTUARY will continue with their unique mix of US power metal, hard rock and progressive elements and begin work on a new LP. To complete the line-up, Brad Hull (FORCED ENTRY) will be filling in for former guitar player Sean Blosl. A late 2013 release is planned.

The band comments:

Warrel Dane: "Having been with Century Media since 1995 with NEVERMORE, it was a very comfortable decision for SANCTUARY to sign with them. Century Media has a great team that always delivers for all of their bands. I've known most of them on a first name basis for many years and I look forward to this new chapter in history."

Lenny Rutledge: "I can speak for every member of SANCTUARY when I say we are all excited to join the Century Media family. We now have the opportunity to work with the best metal record label on the planet. We are looking forward to creating great music with an awesome team behind us."

SANCTUARY released the classic albums Refuge Denied and Into The Mirror Black during their short existence between 1985 and 1992. Following the band's dissolve, singer Warrel Dane and bassist Jim Sheppard formed NEVERMORE.

SANCTUARY line-up 2013:Warrel Dane - Vocals

Lenny Rutledge - Guitars

Jim Sheppard - Bass

Dave Budbill - Drums

Brad Hull - Guitars

SANCTUARY liveJuly 6--El Corazon--Seattle, WA

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

INTERVIEW: SANCTUARY's Dave Budbill On The New Album - "It's Not Mirror, It's Not Refuge Denied, It's Definitely Showing Growth"

Sanctuary is a group that is best known for being the band Warrel Dane fronted prior to the band dissolving in 1992, as well as having guitar virtuoso Jeff Loomis as a live guitarist in the same year, who would also join Dane and Jim Sheppard when they would go onto form Nevermore. However, the Seattle power/progressive metal quintet stand proud as a unique entity in heavy metal with their landmark releases 'Refuge Denied' and 'Into the Mirror Black', which were much ahead of their times in many senses; be it in a conceptual, compositional or thematic context, and yet retained the organic sensibilities of the old school era they thrived in. The band had the unique privilege of having Megadeth's Dave Mustaine produce their debut album, whom they also toured alongside upon releasing the album. However, the period after the release of their second album saw the band facing pressure from Epic Records to fit in with the prevailing Seattle grunge scene, eventually causing disagreements regarding the band's musical direction and ultimately resulting in their disbandment. Having recently revived the project in 2010, followed by a series of live appearances in 2011, culminating in their signing with Century Media, Sanctuary seem to be back to further prove themselves instead of resting on the laurels of their past catalog, with the recent announcement of their forthcoming album, 'The Year the Sun Died' being a testament to this new found drive.

The band's drummer and founding member Dave Budbill recently took some time out to sit down for an interview with Metal Wani's editor-in-chief Owais 'Vitek' Nabi (alongside help from writer/correspondent Achintya Venkatesh for the entire line of questioning) for an interview, and discussed a variety of topics, including the nature and stylistic leanings of their forthcoming studio album, the band's thematic explorations, lineup changes and the motivations behind the reunion, among other topics.

- See more at: http://www.metalwani.com/2014/04/interview-sanctuarys-dave-budbill-on.html#sthash.xchnhSYD.dpuf

• 2 months later...

Sanctuary

Reactivated Seattle metal legends SANCTUARY have wrapped-up the recording of their new album, The Year The Sun Died! Due to be released on Sept. 29th in Europe and on Sept. 30th in North America, The Year The Sun Died was recorded in Seattle at Soundhouse Studios with Zeuss (WHITECHAPEL, HATEBREED) and features 11 tracks, plus a bonus cover of THE DOORS' classic, "Waiting For The Sun".

Front-man Warrel Dane comments: "Now that hell has officially frozen over and the pigs have flown, I can proudly say 'The Year The Sun Died' is finished. The record that nobody thought would ever get here has come in kicking...and yes, there is screaming!

Working with Zeuss (aka the commander) was great. He really pushed us all to be better. This is a very modern sounding record with roots still firmly planted in old school, six-string metal, and I gotta give him creds for that."

SANCTUARY was formed in Seattle in 1985 and released two studio albums on Epic Records, Refuge Denied in 1987 and Into the Mirror Black in 1989. They toured the world with the likes of MEGADETH, WARLOCK, FATES WARNING, DEATH ANGEL and many more. In 1992, the band officially disbanded with singer Warrel Dane and bassist Jim Sheppard forming the critically acclaimed group, NEVERMORE. SANCTUARY announced in 2010 that they would be reuniting and played metal festivals in both Europe and the USA with the original line-up, save for guitarist Sean Blosi. Former FORCED ENTRY guitarist Brad Hull has stepped in to fill his shoes as a permanent touring and recording member.

SANCTUARY line-up:

Warrel Dane - Vocals

Jim Sheppard - Bass

Brad Hull - Guitars

Lenny Rutledge - Guitar

Dave Budbill - Drums

SANCTUARY online:

www.facebook.com/sanctuaryfans

www.twitter.com/sanctuarymetal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

10563151_757070187673090_9204028807995863800_n.jpg?oh=aaee85b6b4cc3d55760f4f6d45f54096&oe=547A3105

Legendary Seattle metal band, Sanctuary, has posted the artwork for their upcoming album, The Year The Sun Died. Created by Travis Smith (OPETH, NEVERMORE) the album art can be seen below.

The album will be released in North America on October 14 (October 6 in Europe) and will feature 11 tracks. There will be a deluxe media book, available exclusively at CM Distro in the United States, which features expanded packaging and the bonus track, "Waiting for the Sun", originally recorded by THE DOORS. The vinyl version will come with a CD featuring this bonus track as well. The 11 tracks on the CD and LP are as follows:

The Year The Sun Died track-listing

1. Arise and Purify

2. Let The Serpent Follow Me

3. Exitium (Anthem of the Living)

4. Question Existence Fading

5. I Am Low

6. Frozen

7. One Final Day (Sworn to Believe)

8. The World is Wired

9. The Dying Age

10. Ad Vitam Aeternam

11. The Year the Sun Died