Pharaoh

RNA

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

PHARAOH’s New Album “Bury The Light” To be Released on Cruz Del Sur Music in 2012

After a long wait, Cruz del Sur Music has finalized a new contract with PHARAOH for the release of three albums. “Bury the Light” is the first and much expected release of awesome metal in the typical style of this much beloved band!! It will be 10 news songs for a total of 48 minutes. The sessions have some exceptional guest solos by Mike Wead (King Diamond) e Jim Dofka (Dofka). PHARAOH’s “Bury the Light” will hit the streets on February 24th 2012 in Europe, and on March 6th in the United States. We reached Matt Johnsen and Chris Black to ask some questions about the release, and to provide some comments on the album’s tracklist.

How do you think Pharaoh evolved in this new album?

Matt- We tried to add more textural elements to our songs while continuing to cut as much extraneous material as possible. The songs on this album are dense, but hopefully they never overstay their welcome. The basic template is the same as on Be Gone, but the album is less dark overall, and perhaps a little faster.

Any particular anecdote from the recording sessions?

Matt- This album took a long time to make, because shortly after the drums were tracked, our drummer and our engineer both became dads for the first time. Also, the vocals were tracked at my house while my son was only a year old. Thankfully, he doesn’t seem to mind Tim’s voice.

Do you think the fans will be ready for this new Pharaoh album?

Matt - I think anyone who stuck it out with us after we shed the remainders of our obvious Iron Maiden worship after The Longest Night will be happy with our progression on this album. It’s still crammed full of traditional elements, of course, but we’re not trying to be retro or old fashioned. We want to move melodic metal forward.

The following is “Bury the Light”’s detailed tracklist with comments from PHARAOH’s band members Matt Johnsen and Chris Black:

1. Leave Me Here To Dream

Chris: Another song about death’s best disguise: sleep. And the desire for the oblivion of dreams. And the power of guitar solos.

2. The Wolves

Matt: The funny thing about the 99% is that half of them vote exclusively in favor of the 1%!

Chris: And the other half doesn’t vote at all. Yet this is a very aggressive song, probably the most aggressive song on the album.

3. Castles In The Sky

Chris: Perhaps the typical Pharaoh nugget, with lots of melodies tightly wound. Brilliant lyrics by Tim. They almost make it sound like The Man is out to get you.

Matt: The Man IS out to get you! Guest solo by Mike Wead.

4. The Year Of The Blizzard

Matt: The title is literal. One year under the snow, with supplies running out. Jim Dofka solos.

Chris: An epic track that shows more 70s hard rock influence than anything we’ve done before.

5. The Spider’s Thread

Matt: Based on a short story by Ryunosuke Akutagawa. Buddha gives a sinner a chance to climb out of hell, but he fucks it up.

6. Cry

Matt: Regrets love company.

Chris: It’s true. And this one was a full-band collaboration!

7. Graveyard Of Empires

Matt: Afghanistan will make you its bitch!

Chris: This song made me its bitch. It’s probably the most complex and challenging song we’ve done. Written by Matt, of course.

8. Burn With Me

Matt: Creative destruction.

Chris: Along with “Cry”, this is the radio single contender. Which probably means that I wrote it.

9. In Your Hands

Chris: This one is about how people are so good at creating their own problems and yet so terrible at creating any solutions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jeste sramota za forum da za ovakav album niko ni reci. Stvarno vas jeb'o RAM. Nije ovo wow, ali od novog albuma pomenutog, brat braci, bar 50% bolji.

Anyway, zdrava heavy uzivancija, definitivno su se vratili na stazu kvaliteta Najduze Noci. Kome se svidjao Pharaoh do sada, mislim da nema sanse ovo da ne legne. Melodije pikantne i zarazne, a Aymar ne prestaje da odusevljava, uzivanje slusati ga.

Favoritne su mi Leave Me Here, Castles, Burn i In Your Hands, sa naglaskom na Castles, postade mi omiljena Pharaoh pesma posle "After The Fire" :rockdevil:

Ukratko, 8.5/10. Nadam se da je ovo vesnik bolje heavy godine...

Ја сам пустио албум једном, али само преко плејера кад сам нешто до града ишао. Да ме прође Asphyx манија, па га пуштам да лепо обратим пажњу. Оно што сам чуо тада није ни мало лоше било, али не бих нешто превише кењао док се то лепо не обрне.