Blackmore's Night

blondie

Dobri su. Dwe dinamicne verzije starih balada - jedna je od Rainbow, a drugu je proslavio Elvis Presley.

Jedva sam cekao da cujem je li Blackmore jos u fazonu bretonskog folka i vec na 2. pesmi (Locked Within the Crystal Ball) sam prepoznao srednjovekovnu Arthur Plantagenest koju su snimili Tri Yann - melodija je ista, greske nema. Car :pivopije:

Poslušao sam novi album jednom i na to prvo slušanje nije baš neki utisak ostavio... daću mu još prilika, naravno, ali nekako... stekao sam utisak da sam sve sam to već čuo, nekako mi je "mlako" sve to... al dobro, to je prvi utisak, možda će se promeniti posle par slušanja.

Tek sam sad odgledao Paris Moon. Kakva odvratna publika, a kako divan nastup...Posto nisam potpuno zadovoljan novim albumom, ovo mi je bas dobro doslo. Ponovo su mu gostovali clanovi benda Die Geyers, a procitah podatak da je ta nemacka grupa posluzila kao glavna inspiracija Ritchie-u da se opredeli za ovu vrstu muzike...

My review

1) God Save The Keg - a funny title, but also a lovely instrumental, full of symphonic atmosphere and solemnity. Then you can hear some crazy organ melody, and a deep male choir, slowly setting the right mood for

2) Locked Within The Crystall Ball - the best song on the album, and one of the best BN songs ever, in my opinion. It is pretty dark-edged, with very catchy melodies, and a quite unusual arrangement for this band. Perfect combination of Candice's belting, Ritchie's electric guitars and medieval instruments.

3) Gilded Cage - acoustic song, somehow makes me think of the forest in the night. There are even some Latino reminiscenes during Ritchie's solo.

4) Toast To Tomorrow - Great Russian song that was turned into yet another familiar Blackmore's Night "tavern" anthem. I am sure this song will kick ass live!

5) Prince Waldeck's Galliard - a soothing instrumental. Ritchie alone with his mandolin. What more does this man need to make beautiful music? This song proves he needs nothing more.

6) Rainbow Eyes - certainly THE flop of the album. I don't know why are they keeping covering Rainbow's songs over and over. And this version is definitely the worst one. Rather boring, with some strange sound effects in the background, and totally lacks the emotion of the original. I think I'm gonna skip this song in the future.

7) The Circle - Wow, an amazing and a very complex piece! Contains some rennaissance, some oriental (even Candice vocalises a little in Arabic way!) and dome rock influences. Not to mention that the choir in the end sounds really powerful.

8) Sister Gypsy - a typical BN ballad, with strings, violin, Candice's beautiful voice and lyrics.

9) Can't Help Falling In Love With You - Awesome cover of Elvis's hit song! The atmosphere totally reminds me of BN songs All Because Of You and I'll be There. Fast rock riffs, happy rhythm, and a simple yet true love theme. Not to mention that I love how Candice belts out in this one.

10) Peasant's Promise - acoustic intro, followed by beautiful medieval melodies on various whistles. Candice sings very passionately and tenderly in this song.

11) Far Away - the beginning of the song is a little bit tedious, but ck in, and Candice in the background singing "pa pa pa". The song gets quite symphonic and romantic towards the end.

12) Empty Words - a recapitulation of the intro tune, but now without orchestra bombast, and with Candice's voice. An OK son, but I feel something's missing there. Not really up to BN standards, for sure!

Anyway, BN did it again! They made a wonderful album, full of master-pieces. Even though they stay true to their minstrel-rock style, they still evolve with time, and on Secret Voyage they keep getting heavier than before, and also their arrangements become more and more interesting. And of course, the most positive surprise to me was how much Candice has improved her singing (not that she had been bad before!). Now every single note she sings contains so much strength, passion, emotion, wonderful..... Even though this album does have some songs which just aren't as good as BN songs should be, the rest of the album makes up for them, and those master-pieces will certainly join the (already quite vast) library of BN signature tunes.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Si ovo ti pisao ili copy/paste?

Anyway, meni novi album oddddlichan! Slazem se sa gore navedenim uglavnom, "Locked" jedna od najBN pesama ever..Blackmore ne napisao ovakvu beshtiju josh od "Black Masquerade"! Rainbow obrada..bespotrebna..bolje da odraduju 80's Rainbow, njima mozes da udahnesh novi zivot..kao "Streets" sa proshlog albuma..

FAvoriti: Syster Gypsy, Peasant's Promise, The Circle

9.5/10

• 3 months later...