Masterplan

Earendil

MASTERPLAN - Masterplan

AFM Records

Melodic Power Metal

11 songs (~50'00)

Available: January 20th

Masterplan, AFM Records

The year 2003 hasn't started yet and we have already received an amazing promo at www.metalreviews.com that has the potential to become the big surprise for next year. To tell you the truth, we were almost dying waiting for that promo : Masterplan, the new band of the ex-Helloween musicians - Roland Grapow & Uli Kusch - plus Mr. Vocal himself, Jorn Lande (Jorn, ex-Ark). Of course, with such lineup, you expect great songs to hit your brain ! And guess what ... this is exactly what is happening on this magical album. Let's dive into this album one track after another :

1) Spirit Never Die : After a pseudo flying dark intro, the first guitar notes reminds you immediately Helloween - at the top of their ages ... in other words ... a long long time ago - but the tempo oscillates throughout the song from middle to fast, let's call this the Masterplan touch. Jorn takes the vocal of Coverdale - we already knew he could do that - and the melodies of this song reminds you of Whitesnake & Helloween. Great melodies, great chorus, great start ... and what a sound, this is what I call a powerful production. Thanks who ? Mr. Andy Sneap, who also produced Machine Head and Testament in the past.

2) Enlighten Me : the single track, see our review. I like the "gothic" feeling of this song, Paradise Lost meets power metal. Woow !!!

3) Kind Hearted Light : also on the single album, one of the best song I have heard since a decade smile.gif Masterplan is born !

4) Crystal Night : After an arabesque intro, the tempo gets much heavier ... a kind of Judas Priest tempo. This time Jorn is enormous as the guy sings like Dio. Yes Mr. Ronnie James Dio. This is unbelievable how Jorn fluctuates from Coverdale to Dio with his vocal. I am also smashed by the pounding riff which haunts my head. Great chorus again and the talent is definitely present because we are not talking of power/speed metal stuff - Helloween just to mention a band - but we are listening to a wonderful heavy metal song.

5) Soulburn : Starting with a piano, the tempo is again heavy and "gothic". The piano follows Jorn ... or shall I say Coverdale because on this track, Jorn resuscitates Whitesnake's singer ... I am on my knees. A mid-tempo song, almost a power-ballad, proving again the quality of the song-writing as both bridge & chorus devastate your brain. Slow, but powerful ! Yeah, a Soulburn track.

6) Heroes : The "amusing" song on this album. Masterplan did the right choice to place it at the 6th position because this is a typical Helloween song from the first note until the last one. In fact, Jorn even imitates perfectly Michael Kiske, especially for the bridge and the chorus. A wonderful parody, an funny joke ... and what a chorus my friends, what a f*cking catchy chorus ! You will laugh and sing on that one, trust me smile.gif)

7) Sail On : After a speedy guitar intro, Jorn is again the shining star on this track. The chorus & the bridge are less "punchy", but this is a well structured song confirming again the talent of these musicians. The keyboard melody reminds me somehow of Journey's (Separate Ways) and the guitar solo is really cool. Something is however missing here to recreate the astonishing feeling of the first six tracks.

8) Into The Light : First "slow" track, a kind of ballad. Again, Jorn plays the first role and being accompanied by a classical guitar. The tempo gets harder for the chorus. Again it reminds me Paradise Lost ... and Whitesnake is not that far smile.gif

9) Crawling From Hell : After Kind Hearted Light, here comes the second Masterplan signature. Between the guitar solo and the drums, the song runs fast at the beginning and is balanced with a slow and heavy chorus, a kind of angry Accept chorus. The guitar solo is remarkable and the never ending changing tempo cannot be described ... it has to be discovered by yourself. Superb !!!

10) Bleeding Eyes : An arabesque intro again, a song reminding me Kamelot - because once Masterplan's record is over, I am swapping my player to Kamelot' Epica smile.gif. More seriously, this arabesque tempo twisted with an heavy guitar sound and the "truncated" voice highlights again the talent of this band. The chorus is another pure diamond and I hope these guys have not exhausted all their talent on this album as such quality song-writing is rarely at the rendezvous for a debut album.

11) When Love Comes Close : The weak track. What a shame the band didn't decide to stop after 10 songs. This one being a Whitesnake ballad type and doesn't really bring anything new to this wonderful album as all the bullets have been fired before. Jorn remains incredible again and I am wondering if Coverdale himself doesn't sing on that one ? Anyway, if you like ballads ... you might appreciate When Love Comes Close.

Let's resume : this is a f*cking great debut album and I am already dying here for the following one. Excellent job guys !!! One worry is haunting me however : would these guys be able to "re-create" a second album as good as this one. Let's hope so ... after all, it is Christmas time.

Hummm, the ball is in Helloween's side ... or shall I say in Mr. Weikath's hands.

Killing Songs : Kind Hearted Light, Spirit Never Die, Crystal Night, Heroes, Crawling From Hell, Soulburn Danny 95 / 100

Chris 96 / 100

evo vam pa drkajte ja licno jedva cekam da cujem ovo

imam ga...i nacisto me smorilo smile.gif

Jorn peva za Helloween....nista vise.....bas je dosadno.

Mislim imas mnogo gorih grupa.....ali ovo je bas dosadna muzika za Jornove glasvne mogucnosti....

jebiga....kad su $$$$$$ u pitanju.

Jorn VRATISE U ARK!!!!!! :twisted::twisted:

• 2 months later...

ali kad uporedis sa ARKom................ :ne:

U pravu si ti Lazo 100% al sta da se radi.

Meni je licno ovaj album stvarno mnogo gotivan. Svaki dan ga odslusam barem 2 puta ako ne stignem vise he,he,he. Nije los uopste.

Jedno pitanje , da li Jorn stvarno peva refren na pesmi Heroes??? Jednostavno ne mogu da verujem da mu se tako promenila boja glasa ako je to stvarno on.

Jedno pitanje , da li Jorn stvarno peva refren na pesmi Heroes??? Jednostavno ne mogu da verujem da mu se tako promenila boja glasa ako je to stvarno on.

E, ja ne znam, poshto nisam chuo, ali sa Jorn-om je sve mogucje... koliko metamorfoza ima na Burn The Sun albumu... 8O chovek je genije...

• 6 months later...

E, ja bas ovih dana dosta slusam taj album... I mogu reci da ima nekoliko veoma zanimljivih momenata (kao recimo ona treca pesma, koja je kradja Out in the Fields od Gary Moore biggrin.gif ), ili prva...

Jorn je KRALJ, kako god, mada je mnogo bolje pevao u Arku, tacnije, vokal je produkcijski bio mnogo vise izrazen. I tamo je neodoljivo licio na Coverdale-a, dok me ovde podseca na Dio-a...

Eh, kad bi se on vratio tamo gde mu je mesto... :roll:

Znas sta je fazon Lakicu ? Prepoznah ja Kiske-ov glas medjutim citah neke recenzije po netu vezane za doticni album i pisu oni pisu kako je sve to Jorn otpevao , kao u fazonu cas mu se vokal menja u Dio tripu pa Coverdale pa Kiske. Zato sam bio kompletno zbunjen da li je to jebeno moguce :? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

ma masterplan je fantastičan! jorn je jebeno dobar vokal biggrin.gifa: a i zika je zanimljiva, iako na momente zvuči manje-više klasično... ali on ih izvlači sve... nakon beyond twilighta ovo mi dođe super... slušam već dva dana non-stop - zaražen sam smile.gif

• 1 month later...

MASTERPLAN je odlican.Lande je genijalan vokal!Na par pesma me podseca na DIO-a i voleo bi da cujem LANDE-a kako peva dia,jer je covek genijalan.Album je dobari zasluzuje ocenu 7.5/10.

Znaci nesto bolje od prosecnog power metala.Mozda i najveca mana je originalnost,jer ima 5-6 pesama koje bi ste mogli da pripisete strato-u ,gamam ray-u ili helloween-u

Ali sve u svemu nije lose

Najbolja pesma:BLEEDING EYES

ja sto vise slusam album sve vise se razocaravam,znaci skoro svaka pesma sa albuma se moze uporediti sa nekom drugom pesmom drugog power benda...elem:

Bleeding Eyes-mozda je najbolja,ali previse podseca na Dark Ride album,a ponajvise na pesmu ESCALATION 666

Crawling From Hell-Ovu melodiju,tj riff sa pocetka znam da ima NOCTURNAL RITES na jednoj od svojih pesama,i to mislim da je HELL AND BACK,mozda nije ta pesma ,ali znam da bas oni imaju taj riff

Heroes-Stratovarius-Eagleheart BUKVALNO ISTO!

Kind Hearted Light-mnooooooooooogo podseca na strato,nisam siguran na koju pesmu ali racunam da su i nju ukrali

Na ove imam posebne zamerke,ostatak me jos uvek nijne podsetio na neku odredjenu pesmu,ali vidi se od GRAPOW-a nema nista ,kada je rec o pisanju pesama.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dobar album,refreni su najjaca strana.Lande je genije nema sta.Grapow je solidno odradio posao.Klavijautre su se takodje fino uklopile.Najbolja pjesma je Crawling from hell(gitara na pjesmi vrh)

Dobro ali mislim da mogu jos bolje

• 2 months later...

Chitao sam skoro intervjue sa carom LANDEom..

Novi album je u toku snimanja...imace mnogo vishe prog elemenata.. icon_rockdevil.gif

I bice konceptualan muzichki..najverovatnije

Od imena pesama zapamtio sam "Headbanger's Ballroom"..ili tako neshto

Sve jedno..jedva chekam!

• 2 months later...