tema za pedere i dukatlije (random)

KRANG

kayo dot prvi....

We start off the new year with a full presentation of Kayo Dot's sophomore release, Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue, as the January Release of the Month. Since the break-up of maudlin of the Well and the formation of Kayo Dot, front man Toby Driver has been pushing the musical world from all angles, embracing a wildly experimental stance on the rock genre that infuses it with a classical compositional style yet has the feel and taste of a an artistic metal outfit. The release of Driver's 2005 debut solo effort, In the L...L...Library Loft was a visionary work of art reminiscent of the musical ingenuity of the legendary Mike Patton, yet all too bizarre for even the most affluent of indie elitists. While Driver certainly has been adding to an already glimmering resume, can he lead

his unconventional octet to another glorious album? Obviously the answer is yes, or else we wouldn't be deeming Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue as the January Release of the Month (and probably one of the year's best albums).

It's safe to say that the vision of Kayo Dot is lost on many ears. Call it what you will--avant-garde metal, orchestral metal, experimental psych rock--Kayo Dot is not an easy act to digest. For some reason, they've found it inexplicably difficult to escape the "metal" tag while simultaneously sounding like no other metal band out on the market. I'm not sure how many metal acts out there feature eight members and take a detour into the horns section, string family, and at times still manage to attack with four guitars, but I've not come across many of them. In fact, you might more readily compare them to a post-rock act the likes of Sigur Ros if you tend to base comparisons on tools alone. The band's sound and vision in another thing, but even here they are unparalleled among their contemporaries. Again, I don't see many bands adopting an orchestral approach to their craft these days, especially among the metal crowd. Kayo Dot is a unique force in today's music world; not necessarily an oddity, but many like to describe them as such because the band is so original that it comes across as bizarre. Some bands play rock music, some levitate towards more classical compositions, but Kayo Dot does both. That alone would be noteworthy, but as seen in Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue, the band has nearly perfected its craft to the point of sheer brilliance and remarkable artistic performance.

It would be easy to throw out a generic description of Kayo Dot's music: an experimentation in classical compositions which slowly evolves into rock-oriented structures and erupts with chaotic force. Yet, I take fault with this. There really is very little that is chaotic about Kayo Dot. To be chaotic the music must move in unpredictable and spontaneous ways, and although Kayo Dot may appear to subscribe to such a doctrine at first, repeated listens prove just the opposite--everything is intricately planned and executed with a precision unknown to most musicians. This process itself is truly an art form, and to appreciate this aspect of the music, the live show is direly necessary. While Choirs of the Eye's explicit goal was to be a "studio" album, Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue takes the path less traveled and attempts to capture the "live" feel. Those familiar with Kayo Dot's live set might be bewildered by this, as in the right venue it may be difficult to tell a difference between the studio and live version of the song--the band is that exact in its representation of the music through the live channel, but on a whole Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue attempts to capture the raw energy and passion of the live show that escapes the distanced production in the studio. Kayo Dot wants you to feel every note as it permeates through your body and it wants you to taste the blood and the sweat and the tears that make the music alive.

Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue is a five part epic journey where each part takes on a personality all of its own and is capable of enveloping the listener in a shroud of fear, or gently comforting it with harmonious rhythms. "Gemini Becoming the Tripod" is perhaps the track most similar to Choirs of the Eye, a fitting transition into Kayo Dot's new album. The track enters the picture with heavy, metallic riffs and throws forth a wall of sound that accumulates in intensity through guitar driven compositions and layered ambience. The turbulent landscape is thrown into a massive upheaval as Driver's demonic vocals irritate the musical space just enough to cause a harsh inflammation that resides over the eerie sounds of Kayo Dot. "Gemini Becoming the Tripod" is a hauntingly fierce song, the strongest of the album, and the closest the band gets to delivering another deeply cathartic release akin to

"The Manifest Curiosity."

Kayo Dot recedes into a more experimental mindset in "Immortelle And Paper Caravelle." Much of the action is centered around the interaction of the violin and bass, and Mia once again truly shines in the spotlight, crafting a backbone to the song that is dark, yet at times angelic. After a cascade of strings washes over the sonic landscape, Mia drives the song home with a fury of plucks that begs for a torrential downpour.

The most ambitious song on the album is "Aura on Asylum Walls," which is unrelenting in it's audible feasting. The bulk of the song is a jazzy improvisation with Forbes in the forefront blaring away on horns. Smooth, crisp notes are accompanied by a persistent drumbeat, anchoring the rhythm for the soulful musician. This quickly segues into a energetic battle between Mia's skillful violin and a full guitar attack. Although the guitars flare with an aggressive edge, they are mindful to avoid a full out metallic assault and instead limit themselves to controlled outbursts and withdrawn, detached fury. As the name suggests, the song adopts a uncharacteristically obscure nature; it changes forms readily and presents a remarkable testament to the talent of this band. "Aura on Asylum Walls" is Kayo Dot at its best--from beginning to end it is a constant challenge to keep up with this song.

The last two songs, "____ On Limpid Form" and "Amaranth the Peddler" span over thirty minutes of music and prove to be the most abstract and cerebral pieces on the album. Kayo Dot returns in full form after the stellar "Aura on Asylum Walls" to completely tackle the experimental/avant-garde world with metallic leanings thrown in for cathartic moments. These metallic undertones are not self-fulfilling, but rather the deflative artistic expression of the classical construction of denouement--they just happen to manifest as metal in nature. This period of the album lavishes the palette with a symphony of sounds as the different instruments take turns at the lead and effectively creative an intricate cocoon in which Driver's vocals are able to penetrate deep into the subconscious. String and horn compositions embrace guitar driven repetitions that subtle build up the ambient wall of sound to monstrous proportions. Creeping ever so slowly through the last piece of the album, Kayo Dot tests the listeners patience before the cataclysmic finale. The drums keep pace with elegant vocals that steadily erupt into nightmarish screams and howls, as the ferocity of the art becomes apparent while spilling out onto the sonic landscape with undying passion. The band explores the murky depths of their art form and resurface unscathed. In fact, they make it all look almost trivial.

In the end, Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue devastates the listener with an epic wall of sound, one of the band's favorite tricks. The most common complaint that I foresee about the album is that "no track challenges the artistic endeavor that we saw in 'The Manifold Curiosity.'" Personally, I would argue that the work seen in the likes of "Aura on Asylum Walls" is a new form of Kayo Dot that is at least as exciting, if not more so. But, the critics are right, there is no "Manifold Curiosity" on Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue, but any returning fan of the band shouldn't expect Kayo Dot to repeat themselves. The band is always on the move with bigger and better material--always striving to find a place a little bit closer to perfection. And in that since they have done an outstanding job with Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue, which is a more consistent release from the band that does an excellent job of capturing the essence of the band's live show as well and instilling it with a profound human component that was somewhat lacking in Choirs of the Eye.

With it's sophomore release safety completed, Kayo Dot sets itself up to be a main instigator of a new movement. Already bands far and wide are singing its praises, and while it may not have the biggest fan base among independent bands, Kayo Dot may be making a larger impact among its contemporaries, which ultimately gives them a lasting effect that no amount of money or fans can duplicate. Kayo Dot is much too intangible for the average listener, whom have neither the patience nor the background to fully appreciate the music that this band of artists create. But for the few who do see a bit of the vision that this band lays before it, a small comprehension begins to develop, and the resulting musical experience is truly breathtaking.

nije to ništa.

pazi ovo sa metal-archives.

Art progressive indie noise avant-garde - 21%

Written by LeTisonBrulant on January 11th, 2006

How to begin with this review? After reading this, i'm sure a lot of you are probably gonna think i'm the 'METAL ONLY' type of guy with no 'diverse' and 'open-minded' tastes in music as some would say, but don't get me wrong, I am a big lover of post/indie rock, noise rock, avant-garde and all other weirdies in between. 'Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue' is the second full-length from 'Avant' metal band Kayo Dot, and having 3 full-lengths under the name MOTW. Just before listening to this album, my bullshit radar immediately flashed. Huge line-up and very fucking arrogant titles (Amaranth the Peddler. seriously, what the fuck? I don't care how many drugs, or how 'arty' you think you are, that's a fucking GAY title). Well, after all that bullshit, I decided to spin the album and try to leave these (un)comforting prejudices aside. 'Gemini Becoming the Tripod' kicks things off, and for some reason it's EXACTLY how I thought it would sound - long, boring, uninspired, trying to create an interesting atmosphere but failing at it on almost every level. There's a riff near the end, but that's not enough to cover the 8 minutes of your life that you'll never get back. The loud and obnoxious instrumentation creates a post-rock atmosphere, plus arrogance, more random bullshit and whatnot. Instead of creating repetitive trance-inducing atmosphere (like certain black metal bands), or calming, soothing drones (like some drone bands), the stuff here is 80% filler, 15% avant-riff bullshit and 5% of good stuff.

Seriously, what the fuck? The second song, 'Immortelle And Paper Caravelle' (I know, it's hard not to laugh at the titles). I waited forever for it to start. Thing is it doesn't start. You can skip to almost anywhere in this song and what you'll hear is near-silence. It's nearly 10 minutes long too. Yes, I know, as 'open-minded' asshats would say, this is 'grower' music, but trust me, I can tell the difference between bullshit 'avant' music and actually grower music, stuff that has a certain level of complexity. 'Aura On An Asylum Wall' is the strongest song here (or should I say, the song that doesn't suck as much as the rest), despite having some random-as-all-fuck lyrics and a considerable amount of filler. 'On Limpid Form', the longest track (and supposedly the 'highlight), drags on for 18 fucking minutes. Eighteen. There's a few good moments (I'd say maybe a minute and a half of that), but it's usually just trying to be noise. Yeah, I said it. They try to be that noisy post-rock band that tries to be 'noise'. This isn't actual noise. Noise is stuff like Merzbow, Borbetomagus, Government Alpha etc. Not randomly plucking your instrument with that asian art chick that listens to indie rock and wears purple highliner and dies her hair pink (which, if you haven't realized it yet, is what Kayo Dot is all about).

So, verdict? No matter how 'avant', 'indie', 'arty', 'original' or 'open-minded' you try to be, there's no enjoying of this album. I'd like to thank Opeth and misunderstanding of the 'avant-garde' term for breeding this monster that creates scenester kids. You know, that kid who walks around campus with a Pelican or Opeth shirt, arrogant look, and who's probably gonna end up writing a book about music and spirituality and...ok, i'll stop that for now. This is arrogant, over-the-top, 'noisy, and last but definitely not least boring music. Don't get it. Download it if you want, but whipe the dust off you delete button before you do.

+

The art in procrastination and calling it art - 30%

Written by megafury on January 23rd, 2006

Umm..Okay what happened? The last album was a masterpiece I praised like a psycho but this is just pretty mediocre. I gave it so many listens over a couple months and it just doesn't click with me. You know how some CD's you keep forever in hopes that you'll grow on it one day? Well I thought that would happen but the opposite was true. I hated it even more the more I tried liking it.

First of all, the songs are way too abstract. There's nothing really coherent. The music indulges in cliché dark classical atmosphere with random sparingly used gentle guitar plucking (a post-rock cliché) and cliché mild build-ups that fail to deliver anything, as if they were just one long intro. That sums it up; every song is just one long drawn-out intro to a song that doesn't even exist!

No, I don't think my expectations were too unreasonably high. I just expected some good tunes and got nothing but what seems to be puffs of airs (literally PUFFS OF AIR!) and psuedo-classical music combined with mediocre post-rock trying to pass off as "eclectic experimental art". It sounds like your standard Sigur Ros/GSYBE!Mogwai/Tristeza clone with a done-to-oblivion doom metal pace and "we have trumpets and flutes too" gimmick.

The only people that would think this is radically different from anything else ever are the geeky 15 year old metal kids that felt like taking a break from Slayer so they went to metal-archives or amazon.com and tried to find something avant-garde, in order to pat themselves on the back for listening to something "diverse". Maybe AFI and Strokes fans will find this CD and think they stumbled upon a secret treasure, too "challenging" for anybody else to enjoy.

It's classical for scenster indie kids majoring in art and clueless about classical music, post-rock for metalheads clueless about post-rock, and just plain stale pointless random noise that stalls and stalls from doing anything remotely interesting for anyone without their heads up their asses. The music is forever looped in procrastination; never even starting a song at all. A huge disappointment for a huge MOTW fan such as myself. It's such a waste that a huge line-up achieves nothing but a new ego-boosting album for psuedo-intellectuals. The very few redeeming qualities of this CD (vocals are decent) are discredited from the tedious length

meni su bili omiljeni mr. perfect, lex luger (on je imao neku metalnu sipku u ruci), owen hart (on je poginuo kad je pokusao da se doveze helikopterom u ring), razor ramon (uvek nosio cackalicu u ustima... dok je nije progutao jedanput, kad ga je tatanka naglo napao), bam bam (vrhunski outfit) i voleo sam neke tag teamove, oni IRC company su bili vr'!

vidis kako obracam paznju na tvoje postove icon_smile.gif

edit: ali su ipak najludji oni meksikanci sto nose maske...bolest sta rade...akrobatika vrhunska, pa ih onda Undertaker uhvati pa padne neki backbreaker

Edited by azal

edit: ali su ipak najludji oni meksikanci sto nose maske...bolest sta rade...akrobatika vrhunska, pa ih onda Undertaker uhvati pa padne neki backbreaker

haha

gde se njih seti!?!

bili su oni buschwakers ili tako nesto, obuceni kao vojnici, koji su marsirali, a uvek bili pijani...

"izdrzi ivane"

hoce sutra.

nego, hoce neko umesto mene da prevede ovo no.gif

Železnica u Crnoj Gori

Neizvesne perspektive

Železnica Crne Gore ove godine obeležava 95 godina postojanja, ali nema mnogo razloga za slavlje - Privatizacija: da li, kada i kako?

Crnogorski željezničari ove godine proslavljaju značajan jubilej – 95 godina od kada je predata saobraćaju pruga Bar-Virpazar, prva željeznička pruga u Crnoj Gori. Prisjetimo se, radi poređenja, engleski Parlament je 1823. godine odobrio izgradnju prve željezničke pruge Stokton-Darlington. Proba je bila izvršena 27. septembra 1825. godine pred velikim brojem znatiželjnika i taj dan se uzima za rođendan željeznice. Prve željezničke pruge na području koje naseljavaju južnoslovenski narodi izgrađene su krajem prve i u drugoj polovini 19. vijeka, u vrijeme kada je dobar dio tog prostora bio pod dominacijom Austro-Ugarske i Turske. Na tom području prva željeznička pruga bila je izgrađena na potezu Šentilj-Maribor-Celje i puštena je u saobraćaj 2. juna 1846.

Pruga Beograd-Niš završena je 1884. i bila je to prva željeznička saobraćajnica na teritoriji Srbije. Prvu željezničku prugu Crna Gora je dobila tek 1908.

Niska osnova

Kod sagledavanja postignutih rezultata u izgradnji željezničkog sistema Crne Gore, treba imati u vidu izrazito nisku startnu osnovu i neadekvatna i nestimulativna privredno-sistemska rješenja. Za cijeli protekli razvojni period nameće se konstatacija o nedovoljnoj razvijenosti željezničkog saobraćaja, koji predstavlja ograničavajući faktor bržeg privrednog razvoja Crne Gore.

Limitirajuća komponenta posljedica je nedovoljno izgrađene i anahrone željezničke infrastrukture, kao i nedostatka vučnih i prevoznih sredstava sa zadovoljavajućim tehničko-eksploatacionim karakteristikama. Sem toga, stalno je prisutna inkompatibilnost između ponude i lepeze zahtjeva kojima željeznica treba da udovolji. Zatim, koordinacija između željeznice i ostalih prevoznika prilikom pružanja saobraćajnih usluga je slaba, a primjena savremenih transportnih metoda kod željezničkih prevoza neznatna.

Površina teritorije Crne Gore je 13.812 km2, a ukupna dužina željezničkih pruga iznosi svega 250,3 km. Polazeći od indikatora gustine željezničke mreže na 100 km2 teritorije, Crnu Goru možemo svrstati u relativno nerazvijena područja bivše Jugoslavije. Po ovom pokazatelju, Crna Gora danas zauzima posljednje mjesto među državama nastalim raspadom Jugoslavije (za cijelih 51,4 odsto je ispod prosjeka za ex – Jugoslaviju).

Da bi željeznica u saobraćajnom sistemu Crne Gore mogla da ostvari ulogu koja joj objektivno pripada, mora osavremeniti svoje kapacitete, organizaciju rada i poslovnu politiku. Zato svestrana modernizacija treba da bude osnovni pravac razvoja crnogorske željeznice u narednom periodu. Ona je preduslov za poboljšanje kvaliteta prevoznih usluga i približavanje nivou standarda koji već ostvaruju željeznice u razvijenim evropskim zemljama.

S obzirom na postojeće stanje u željezničkom saobraćaju Crne Gore, prioritet u njegovom razvoju i modernizaciji treba da ima željeznička infrastruktura. Neophodno je revitalizovati pruge: Vrbnica-Bar (dio pruge Beograd-Bar u Crnoj Gori) i Podgorica –Nikšić. U bližoj budućnosti, sa jačanjem privrednih tokova, realno je očekivati aktiviranje međunarodne pruge Podgorica- Skadar, koja povezuje Crnu Goru i Albaniju.

Željeznička pruga od Vrbnice do Bara predstavlja dio magistralne pruge Beograd-Bar, koja ima veliki značaj za Državnu zajednicu Srbije i Crne Gore i važnu ulogu u saobraćajnom sistemu Balkana. Stanje pruge je dosta loše. Izgrađena je prije 27 godina (u eksploataciji je od 1976). U cijeloj dužini od Vrbnice do Bara (169 km) odavno je dospjela za generalni remont. Pruga Beograd-Bar jedina je funkcionalna veza između Luke Bar (po mnogo čemu najznačajnije privredne organizacije u okviru kompleksa crnogorske pomorske privrede) i njenog dosta širokog gravitacionog područja. Zbog toga što ima ogroman značaj za privredu Crne Gore nužno je što prije izvršiti glavne opravke (remont) pruge Beograd-Bar na dijelu kroz Crnu Goru, a zatim i njenu kompleksnu modernizaciju.

Pruga Podgorica-Nikšić (u dužini od 56,5 km) je u veoma lošem stanju. Ukoliko se remont ubrzo ne obavi biće doveden u pitanje njen opstanak. Zatvaranje ove pruge za dalji saobraćaj imalo bi višestruke negativne posljedice za crnogorsku privredu, posebno za Kombinat aluminijuma (KAP), Rudnike boksita i nikšićku Željezaru. Veoma deprimira činjenica da je od posljednjeg remonta prošlo gotovo 40 godina. O potrebi novog kapitalnog remonta pruge Podgorica-Nikšić govori se već 15 godina. Eventualno obustavljanje saobraćaja na ovoj pruzi vremenom bi uslovilo izgradnju još jedne trake puta Nikšić-Podgorica, porast transportnih troškova za privredu, porast ekoloških troškova i veće izdatke za nabavku tečnih goriva. To nije u interesu Crne Gore i njenog privrednog razvoja.

Preduslov razvoja

Tehničko-tehnološka modernizacija je jedan od najvažnijih preduslova za metamorfozu Željeznice Crne Gore A.D. u moderno komercijalno preduzeće. Ali, za ostvarenje tog cilja tehničko-tehnološka poboljšanja nijesu dovoljna. Neophodne su i promjene vlasničkog, organizacionog i funkcionalnog karaktera.

Conditio cine qua non komercijalizacije željeznice je njena sveobuhvatna transformacija. Ona bi omogućila željeznici ofanzivniji nastup na sve konkurentnijem tržištu saobraćajnih usluga, što podrazumijeva aktivnu tržišnu orijentaciju – usvajanje preduzetničke filozofije i komercijalno poslovanje.

Objektivno gledano, u crnogorskim uslovima put ka efikasnoj željeznici neće biti ni kratak ni lagodan. U vezi sa tim, važno je istaći da nama ne treba originalan model organizacije i funkcionisanja željeznice, koji ne postoji nigdje u svijetu. U bližoj ekonomskoj istoriji imali smo previše originalnih, uz to i neproduktivnih rješenja.

U novim okolnostima neophodno je imati na umu iskustva željeznica zemalja članica EU. No, ne treba zaboraviti da nije moguć automatizam u pogledu prelaska crnogorske željeznice na modele funkcionisanja i organizovanja efikasnih evropskih željeznica. Tuđa iskustva nam mogu pomoći, ali nas ne mogu i ne smiju osloboditi od odgovornosti prema sopstvenoj budućnosti. Moguće rješenje za nas je kreativna primjena savremenih koncepcija željeznice koje se potvrđuju u razvijenim evropskim zemljama na uslove karakteristične za crnogorsku privredu.

Inače, transformacija i privatizacija željeznice je veoma složen problem, čak i za visoko razvijene zemlje. Primjera radi, Savezna vlada Njemačke je još 15. jula 1992. godine usvojila dugoročni projekat za reformu željeznice, kao prvi korak na putu privatizacije. Tada je planirano da se cjelokupni proces privatizacije željeznice završi u narednih deset godina.

Korifej privatizacije u evropskim razmjerama je Britanska željeznica. Ministarstvo transporta je još 1992. donijelo Bijelu knjigu u kojoj su dati Vladini predlozi za maksimiziranje učešća privatnog sektora u željeznici. Predlog zakona o privatizaciji predstavljen je Parlamentu 1992, a prihvaćen je u novembru 1993. godine. Danas se može zaključiti da je poslovna efikasnost Britanske željeznice trpjela tokom perioda tranzicije u privatni sektor.

Kakva je perspektiva crnogorske željeznice? Koliko vremena će joj biti potrebno da izraste u efikasno, konkurentno i profitabilno preduzeće? U ovom trenutku teško je dati decidiran odgovor i ova pitanja ostaju otvorena. Mora se uzeti u obzir da je željeznica godinama bila zapostavljena i da se u nju nije dovoljno ulagalo. Kapaciteti su u velikoj mjeri dotrajali i urgentno je potrebna revitalizacija skoro cijele crnogorske željezničke infrastrukture. Takođe, treba imati u vidu da je Crna Gora ekonomski suviše slaba da bi mogla samostalno da modernizuje svoje željezničke kapacitete, tako da je neophodna odlučnija i izdašnija podrška finansijskih institucija Evropske unije.

U strategiji razvoja saobraćajnog sistema Crne Gore veoma važno mjesto treba da pripadne reafirmaciji željezničkog saobraćaja. Osavremenjavanje i izvjesno proširenje željezničke mreže doprinijelo bi uspostavljanju boljih veza između proizvodnih i potrošnih centara, značajnijem iskorišćavanju prirodnih bogatstava i drugih resursa, većoj mobilnosti faktora proizvodnje, efektivnijem i efikasnijem korišćenju turističkih kapaciteta i cijelog kompleksa pomorske privrede, kao i realizaciji proklamovanih ekoloških pretenzija. Reafirmacija željeznice unaprijedila bi intraregionalnu i interregionalnu povezanost unutar Crne Gore i Državne zajednice Srbije i Crne Gore. Konačno, ono što je posebno važno, osnažila bi saobraćajnu integraciju na prostoru Zapadnog Balkana i djelovala bi podsticajno na panevropsku saobraćajnu integraciju.

Ljubinko Dedović

(Autor je docent na Ekonomskom fakultetu u Podgorici)