Necrophagist

Mr.Torture

PA pazi kompleksno ne znaci tehncicki odsvirano da bi delo bilo kompleskno postoje neke zakonitosti kao sto su kontrast,ravnoteza,dinamika itd po meni necro ima vishe dinamike i zanimljivosti stoga i vishe osecaja u sviranju...Mozes da osetis i tugu i zapitanost i morbidnost i izgubljenost.A kod cannibala mi je ono bilo koj album da pustis sem Galerija imas zelju da ubijes nekog:P

ne mora znaciti da nesto sto je 'komplexno' i 'inventivno' neophodno znaci i 'kvalitetno' (na kraju krajeva, ne mozes ocekivati da bend izumi toplu vodu), ali necrophagist je, one godine kad se pojavio (pogotovo s epitaphom), unio pravo osvjezenje u dm scenu (dakle, ne govorim kakvu, jel 'brutal', jel 'melo', jel 'tech') koja je toliko pretrpana bendovima koji se nicim ne izdvajaju iz mora slicnih. odlicna muzicka podloga (zanrovski gledano), vrhunska usviranost (kako studijski, tako i uzivo) i eto sta se dobije kad se spoje odlicni muzicari, pravi utjecaji i dovoljno 'kreativnosti'.

@starshooter: HPL na avataru, right? (svaka cast ako jeste..mada mu je glava inace vise izduzena);)

Ево га један интервју са бившим гитаристом Кристијаном рађен пре око пола године...

Hey there Chris,

I'm very glad that you've agreed to do this Interview. Maybe this

isn't the best time for it, since "Epitaph" is out for a very long time, but now you probably have some new, interesting informations for our readers...

Here are the questions :

Let's take a short, retrospective view on your previous releases, and let's start with "Onset On Putrefaction". Fabulous debut! Very

inventive, creative and versatile album it is. In my opinion, that is maybe the best debut in ninetees. Death metal of the highest kind. What do you think of that record now, from this time distance?

- Well, as everybody knows I wasn't in Necrophagist yet by the time it came out, but I was a hardcore fan two years before I got the gig in Necro. I got that album the day it came out, and I was more than amazed. Defineately changed my view on Death Metal! I've always been a big shred nerd, and always loved the agression and dark flavor of Death and Black Metal. Now hearing that band combining those two worlds in the most amazing compositions I could imagine was a blast, and Necrophagist became one of my all time favorite bands. Still today, more than 5 years later, I think that album is one of the big milestones in Death Metal, and you're right, a debut doesn't get any better than this. Of course that's only my opinion and tastes are different, but that's how I think about the record today.

Tell me something about "Epitaph". For me, it seems that you've decided to expand your musical horizons even more on this one. Songs are definitely more complex and mature, some of riffs are really contagious, and it's still very recognizeable as Necrophagist. You've menaged to create totally unique and recognizable sound, which is surprising fact when we have in mind that you are very young band. Are you proud of that, and do you share my opinion about "Epitaph".

- Yes, I share your opinion and of course I'm proud of Epitaph, although after some time you always hear things you would do different now. I think many people expected Onset Part 2, but we didn't do that. Of course you hear it's Necro, but the riffing went in a different direction, more

"unguitaristic" than on Onset if you know what I mean. Muhammed wrote the songs on

Onset with his guitar, sitting on a couch and playing, while 80% of Epitaph were composed without a guitar, just by ear in front of the PC. That way you come up with riffs and ideas that are not typical for that particular instrument and which a guitar player wouldn't usually come up with. There's more wide intervals and stuff going on, which is why the new songs are so damn hard to

play. And yes, the new stuff is more technical, but seem more compact to meat the same time. I think being original is really important these days to stand out. Good playing is not enough, because there are so many damn good musicians around these days; but there aren't really many bands around that have their own sound, you always hear a bit of this band and a bit of that band and so forth.

One of the most important aspects of your music is technical aspect. I'm sure that some of you must have musical education, you for example(since you are guitar player). How complicate is it to make a Necrophagist song? Tell me something about your musical influences as a guitarist.

- Yes, I did a one year intense course at the Munich Guitar Institute, but Muhammed is completely self taught. Making a Necrophagist song is very complicated and takes a long, long time, as every detail, every drum and bass fill, are completely composed. If you pay close attention, you will notice how many gimmicks are going. And it's very important to us that the songs have a natural flow and don't sound like riffs and parts just thrown together. All of that takes a long time, especially since we don't make riffs fit to each other. If they don't fit naturally, then we won't try. My influcnes as a guitarist at first were mainly Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai, as hearing them made me first pay attention to the guitar as a lead instrument, and it showed me what can be done with a guitar. Thenmost of the Shrapnel dudes followed, such as Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe and Richie Kotzen. Michael Romeo of Symphony X is also a big influence for his classical styling and tapping ideas. I think those dudes would be all that can be heard in my playing; of course I always discover new player, but they don't influence my style anymore.

What's going on with you guys right now, any new material? Give me some updates.

- For the fall and winter and for the whole next year, we are going to play shows like mad and are going to play some tours. We wanna have new material finished for the end of 2006, so that we can start recording then.

You supposed to be a support band for Morbid Angel in Budapest, Hungary earlier this year, but you canceled that show. What happened? What is your opinion about Morbid Angel?

- Muhammed's health problems by that time prevented us from playing that tour. If we had played it, it woulf have endangered the very existence of the band, so we had no choice. Morbid Angel are a great band, I prefer the earlier stuff thought. They were among the true pioneers of Death Metal.

I bet that you like jazz. Your sound is very brutal and heavy, but in the same time it is also very jazzy. Am I right? Tell me your top five metal and non metal records.

- Well, I don't really like Jazz, to be honest. During the time I was at guitar school, I always thought I had to like it, becuse 80 to 90% of what is covered is jazz. That makes sense, as it gives you a very solid foundation for harmonic understanding. So I bought tons of jazz records, but

I never enjoyed listening to them. I like lots of instrumental guitar stuff, though. For the records, it's hard for me to disinuish what's metal and what isn't, but I'll try:

Top 5 Metal:

1. Death - Individual thought patterns

2. Watchtower - Control and resistance

3. Megadeth - Rust in peace

4. Dissection - Storm of the light's bane

5. Judas Priest - Painkiller

Top 5 non metal:

1. Jason Becker - Perpetual burn

2. Vinnie Moore - Mind's eye

3. Greg Howe - Parallax

4. Johann Sebastian Bach - Das wohltemperierte Klavier 1&2

5. Steve Vai - Passion and warfare

What do you think about the scene in Germany? I think that you have a lot of great, young death metal bands. Few months ago i also did an interview with Deadlock. Any landmate favourites?

- I never heard of Deadlock. Anyway, I like the German scene, we are friends with lots of bands such as Harmony Dies, Sinners Bleed, Defeated Sanity, Veneral Disease, Fragments of the unbecoming, The Unchallenged etc. Some pretty crazy caracters in those bands, ha ha.

Are you satisfied with your status on the scene after this two releases?

- Of course, the reactions have been amazing. We've been away from the scene for a while live playing whise, but that will change now. You have to tour if you wanna grow as a bands, and that's what we're gonna do now.

Is there any chance that we could see you in Belgrade, Serbia sometimes in the future? That would be really great.

- Yes, I think so.

For the end, do you have any message to our readers?

- Thanks to all the fans who bought our album! Stay metal and see ya all on tour!

Thank you very much for your time!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Odlican bend!!! Poceo sam da ih slusam sa Onsetl..., i bili su mi ok, dobar i interesantan bend, ali kad sam nabavio Epitaph... Jedan od DM albuma koji sam najvise slusao tih meseci sigurno, a i godine mozda. Meni ovo ima mnogo vise duse i nekog feelinga nego CC. Uopste mi nije prazno tehnikalisanje

EDIT: Sta je sad sa njima, red bi bio da izadje novi album uskoro, a i jednog dana u Srbiji mozda da ih vidimo...

Edited by Uruk Hai

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...