Iron Maiden

Black Knight

Hmm, ja sam nashao ovo na IM BB :

ABOUT SONG :

Benjamin S. Briggs was the American sailor and captain of the Mary Celeste when it was discovered, apparently abandoned, in December 1872. He, his wife and daughter Sophia Matilda, along with the crew, were believed lost.

He had previously captained the brigantine Sea Foam, and was captain of the three masted schooner Forest King in 1862 when he married Sarah E. Cobb, the daughter of Rev. Leander Cobb. It was on this ship that he and Sarah took their honeymoon trip to Europe. In 1865, when he took command of the bark Arthur, Benjamin gave command of the Forest King to his brother, Oliver.

His son Arthur S. Briggs was born in 1865 at Rose Cottage, Marion, Massachusetts, the following year, the family travelled to Marseilles, France, and returned in time for their daughter, to be born on 31st October 1870 at Rose Cottage. In 1871 Benjamin and his brother were considering giving up the sea and buying a hardware store in New Bedford, but apparently decided against this venture. In 1872 Benjamin bought a share in the brig Mary Celeste, and made modifications to the cabin to house his family. Sarah and Sophia accompanied him on a voyage to Genoa, carrying a cargo of alcohol, while Arthur was left with his grandmother at Rose Cottage to attend school. Check this for further information.

Benjamin Breeg

Benjamin Breeg was born in London on September 3rd, 1939.

After the deaths of his parents in a house fire in September, 1947, Breeg was sent to an orphanage in the East End. The cause of the fatal fire, to this day, remains unexplained. Breeg himself was present in the house at the time but escaped unharmed.

He was a bright child but very solitary, prompting one of his carers at the orphanage to state: "He has the demeanour of a child who seems to bear more weight upon his shoulders than any person should. What goes on behind his eyes makes one wonder what's troubling him." As well as his academic interests, Breeg also became interested in The Bible and expressed a desire to join the clergy.

Breeg was fostered by three families between 1947 and 1950 but each time, he was returned to the orphanage, unable to settle in any of the new homes that had offered to raise him.It was on his tenth birthday in 1949, that he began to experience nightmares that he himself later described as "the most vile and tortuous I have ever endured." Despite this, he went on to develop incredible talent as an artist and produced a large number of drawings, sketches and paintings. However, none of these survive and are believed to have been destroyed by Breeg himself. To this day, no one knows why. The subjects of these paintings, however, supposedly caused great consternation and distress among those who Breeg allowed to view them.

The verdict of one close friend who saw some of Breeg's work is as follows: "He says he paints what he sees. If this is true, I can only thank God I have no window into his mind."

Breeg's first job on leaving the orphanage, in 1954, was at a local Undertakers, where he was given the task of engraving headstones. His interest in the Bible had by now turned into what a colleague deemed to be "obsessive". He lived alone and little is known about his life between 1955 and 1959 other than that his interest in joining the clergy diminished. His obsession with the Bible, however, did not.

Breeg travelled widely between 1960 and 1970, visiting many different countries. Living for two years in Haiti before travelling to Eastern Europe where he lived between 1966 and 1969. He was forced to flee from Romania in 1969 following local Police investigations. He returned to England in March 1971. Upon his return, he was offered a position with the International Institute of Paranormal Investigation which he accepted.

Breeg wrote four books between 1971 and 1977. None of these, as far as can be ascertained, remain in print. All, however, concern the sights and cultures Breeg experienced while travelling. The emphasis in all four volumes is on the Occult practices of the countries visited.

Benjamin Breeg disappeared from his home on June 18th, 1978. All efforts to locate him proved unsuccessful.

http://www.benjaminbreeg.co.uk/

Edited by VLAJKO

Rafabaza.com has posted what for the first time could be a real review of the forthcoming A Matter of Life and Death album, set for release on 4 September in Europe and 5 September in the US. The original article is in Spanish but a full English text can be found here:

The album can be catagorized in many ways, but if any adjective describes it well that would be "risky". "A Matter Of Life And Death" is generally complex, slow as well as epic, with very long songs and a lot of instrumentals, generally of a progressive vein, that will be very intriging to musicphiles, but that can be rather exessive even boring to those looking for a good riff and raw power. Maiden's new release is a continuity as far as "Dance of Death" is concerned (even though it takes the new sound to a new level) with production similar to "Brave New World's", very kevinshirlyish, and with little, if any, remnants of production a la Martin Birch. In other words the catchier and faster parts of the album have an air of "Brave New World", though its instrumental and ambient section follow in the steps of (and take it even further) "Dance of Death", specially in its more theater-epic-experimental cuts like "Paschendale", principal refrence and closer to the new "A Matter of Life and Death.

To put it in perspective, it is not an album that will satisfy those that call for a return to the bands classic sound, a ["glance"?] to short and direct compositions. The only example of an easy-listening hit is "Different Worlds" (and maybe "The Pilgrim), which was slated to be the first single though finally "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" seems to be the chosen track (awaiting confirmation from EMI). As soon as we recieve concrete information from the label pertaining to the chosen single we will let you know.

"A Matter of Life and Death" will convince few people at a first listen, it could even be considered boring, but it has very good songs that allowing them to grow on you will end up pleasing old and new fans alike. It frequently uses the formula intro-passage, slow-verse, mid tempo-chorus, fast-passage, long instrumental y slow-chorus, fast-passage, slow-outro, but if listened to carefully it has many hidden treasures. In fact, putting aside the fact that I'm a die hard Maiden fan for a second, I'll venture to say that it is possible many will lose their patience before the last song.

IRON MAIDEN have been able to surprise me in a way I never thought they were capable of doing with the 72 minutes of "A Matter of Life and Death", not only because of their compositions (we even find a ballad with acustic guitars in the vein of "Journeyman", that is reminecent of the music of trobadors),but also for Bruce's voice, experimenting with his voice, surprising for its smooth and delicate tones. It is precisely in the songs where he contributed to the writing is where he plays with his vocal chords the most and where his musical details or noticed more than ever. Bruce's shadow is extended, and its prescence is very palpable in "A Matter of Life and Death".

Another detail is the great prescence of keyboards, used in the most atmospheric moments as well as acompanying certain choruses. It is also curious (and a shame in my opinion) to see that Dave Murry only participated in the writing of one of the best songs on the album, if not the best, "the Reincrnation of Benjamin Breeg". It is also interesting to note that the only song he wrote is susceptable to being chosen as the single, in my opinion, there should be more Murray in future releases (which surely there will be). If the band led by Steve Harris entered progressive waters with "Dance of Death", en "A Matter of Life and Death" they have charged head on into that territory. Without a doubt this album is as risky as its title anounces, a matter of life and death. It will be loved or hated, a see little room for middle ground or indifference, a must have for die-hard fans of the band , that have followed its evolution since the beginning and don't complain about "Dance of Death (or in general of their post-Birch sound). I already side with the "Love it" camp which I'll join once I'm amazed on future listens.

As far as the songs go, we can't coment on more than four in detail (that is why I've practically refrained from citing song titles in this pre-chronicle of the album). Here go the chosen few:

"Different Worlds": It really is a different world from the rest of the album, it is the key to the entrance to an album which it hardly represents. The motive for it being selected as album openner (and not one of the ones nominated to be singles) is clear, for it is the shortest track on "A Matter of Life and Death", just a little over four minutes, and it is the track that opens the album in fresher and more accessible way to the listener whether old or new. it is also simply the best choice for radio. Quick hit, of powerfull riffs and characteristic double guitars, "Different Worlds" has a sound and style that can be found in the catchier songs of "Brave New World". In fact, both structure and chorus are very reminecent of the song "Brave New World". It oddly presents a rather "happy" chorus, not common for Maiden, that contrasts with the more sober and greater portion of the album. Attention to Bruce Dickinson's voice, huge.

"The Longest Day": Epic, like most of th album, describes the landing at Normandy. It starts with the usual sound of galloping guitars,that along with a repetitive bass shrouded in an atmospheric air remembers the moments of tension prior to the attack. The landing seems succesful in a catchy chorus, which will surely be sung a lot live, where Bruce Dickinson is once more unsurpassable. Like in the rest of the album, the song makes room for a long intrumental section, with progressive touches and a melodic cut. A mid-tempo song and majestic.

"Out of the Shadows": Without a doubt Iron Maiden's song where Bruce Dickinson's influence is more notisable. He is the main writer on this track. It is decieving at firstk for it promises to be very heavy with clean riffs, but it ends up detouring into a balad, where we again discover a Dickinson of unedited registers, as a minimum in an album of the Beast. Bruce must feel very happy and proud that he was able to sneak in a track more in the vein of his solo work than what one would normally find on a Maiden album. Similar, very similar to "Tears of the Dragon". His experimental character is also noticeable, demonstrating great originality and again surprising in guitar play in which we have never heard the current trio (nor the duos before that), impressive as background on the final chorus of the song.

"the Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg": Chosen (almost certainly, awaiting official confirmation from EMI) as the first single of the album, which, like I've said before, is the only song in which Dave Murray has taken part in the writing. With one of the most atmospheric and slow beginnings in the history of the band, "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" is a counterpoint of the darkest, decadent even, of the band with the most impressive riffs of the album. It is this contrast that gives magic to a song of perfect choruses, sensitive and that gives goosebumps.

A song that stands out for achieved ambience, an exceptional musical journey, captained by the pilot Bruce Dickinson and his vocal experimentations. Imagen a rollercoaster of incredible ups and downs, that in its mid sections passes through a dark tunnel slowing down almost to a halt only to speed up from 0 to 100 as soon as it reaches the light again. That would be the perfect metaphor to describe "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg". In its more than 7 minutes thre is also room for mid tempos, galloping riffs and for the tradmark dual guitars in the instrumental interludes. In a later interview I'll complete the rest of the songs.

Even though the album deserves more than one listen to take it all in, my first impression is very positive, cheerful and I'm still surprised at the risk the band decided to take. Keep in mind that I'm the registered fan #14829 of Iron Maiden's Fan Club. After listening to the album the band made its way to the press room very calmly. The groups for the interviews were, since they couldn't be any other way, Bruce Dickinson by himself, Steve Harris by himself, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith together and to finsih up Janick Gers and Nicko McBrain. I had the privilege and pleasure to interview Steve, Dave and Adrian one on one. the content of said interviews will be published August 1st. Till then, Up The Irons!

According to their official website and Maiden Norway.com, Bullet for my Valentine are very pleased to announce that they have been confirmed as main support to metal legends Iron Maiden on their forthcoming headline US tour.

As of yet, no confirmation from the Maiden camp has been posted.

"Almost a year after the original release of Bullet For My Valentine’s award-winning debut album ‘The Poison’, and after a year that has seen them supporting the likes of Metallica, Korn and Guns n’ Roses, as well as selling out their own headline tours of the UK and Japan and ripping up the circuit of Europe’s heavier summer festivals, Bullet For My Valentine are thrilled to be heading back to North America as special guests of Iron Maiden.

Says Matt Tuck, “We are stoked we are going to be supporting Maiden in the US, we're all huge fans and have so much fuckin’ respect for them - it's going to be an honour. Plus, we can't wait to meet Eddie!”

The band will then return to Europe and the UK for their own set of headline shows which will see the celebration of the end of a tumultuous year for the band.

The Welsh quartet have recently headlined The Metal Hammer Awards 2006, picking up the gong for Best UK Band in the process (adding to their Kerrang! gong for Best British Newcomer in 2005), played the main stage at the Download festival, Donington ahead of Funeral For A Friend and Guns n’ Roses, and are currently winning new friends in the US on the Warped Tour before readying themselves to play the main stage at the Reading and Leeds Carling Weekend on their return.

Charts-wise, this summer has seen the third single to be lifted from ‘The Poison’, ‘Tears Don’t Fall’ to again go top 40 and ‘The Poison’ album re-issue gain even more praise (The Sun 5/5, Kerrang 5/5) upon its release and worldwide album sales fly past the half a million mark."

The dates are as follows:

04/10/2006 USA - Hartford, CT - New England Dodge Music Center

06/10/2006 USA - Boston, MA - Agganis Arena

07/10/2006 USA - Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center At the Waterfront

09/10/2006 CANADA - Quebec City, QC - Colisee Pepsi Arena

10/10/2006 CANADA - Montreal, QC - Bell Centre

12/10/2006 USA - Uniondale, NY - Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum

13/10/2006 USA - East Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena

16/10/2006 CANADA - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre

17/10/2006 USA - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills

18/10/2006 USA - Rosemont, IL - Allstate Arena