Septic Flesh

hidden

• 1 month later...

Novi Septic Flesh, zove se Communion, izasao za Season Of Mist.

Ova recenzija obecava:

Amazing. That pretty much sums up this album.

Septic Flesh has reunited for the 2nd time and with "Communion" deliver their best album in their already impressive discography. Why this is their best album you ask?

First of all, they once again evolved their versatile sound while still keeping that Septic

Flesh touch. The heavy, dark melancholic, melodic riffing which Sotiris has

exclusively copyrighted and Spiros' grunts are omnipresent and sound as fresh as

back in the day when we first got acquainted with the band.

Furthermore, the way they combined their extreme Hellenic metal with classical music

is unheard of. Sure enough plenty other bands have used (part of) an orchestra but on

this album everything gels so fucken well and sounds so natural that it renders all

those other attempts as merely good."Lovecraft's death" is a perfect opening song which shows that Septic Flesh are still metal as fuck with the pummeling drums yet have further enriched their sound with two full fledged orchestras. The detailed enrichment of adding these orchestras is far exceeding anything I've ever heard. One can easily go overboard but Chris has done a marvelous job at doing everything just right.

Additionally, the song writing is once again absolutely fabulous. Now these guys were always superb song writers with a splendid sense of making their tunes simultaneously intricate and catchy. Balancing on this edge should not be underestimated and especially when adding the use of two orchestras the only appropriate response is standing utterly baffled and struck with complete awe. I could honestly rave endlessly about the 9 fantastic tracks on this album!Lastly, the production. It is breathtakingly good. Seriously. Fredrik Nordström deserves all lots of kudos for giving the band such a crystal clear and powerful sound. The classical parts are in perfect synergy with the metal parts without losing an inch of their metal balls. In fact, the guitar sound is so incredibly fat it will make your head bang so hard it'll fly off.

Where Dimmu Borgir has done good things using classical elements in their sound they grew too sterile and stale in the song writing department. Septic Flesh truly show how one can incorporate classical music in metal while still sounding heavy as fuck and making it sound fresh and catchy all at the same time.

This album is an astonishing achievement from a truly unique band which has given us so much excellent music in the past and I'm so bloody happy that they are back.

In fact, I'd even go as far as claiming I can find no flaw whatsoever in this magnificent album! It has reset the standards to a new high and I'm curious if any band will be able to top this. Don't be surprised if this mind boggling album ends up as my favorite album in 2008!

Fucken amazing!

• 1 month later...

Septic Flesh. The last time I came to watch them, they didn't play, but as I'd just confirmed with Paul from Arcane Promotions, they were definitely playing tonight, so I got myself a good spot in front of the pillar in the centre of the dance floor. and after what felt like too much time getting ready, they came out to what I'm pretty sure was "Behold: The Land Of Promise" from the 2003 CD 'Sumerian Daemons' followed by the next 2 tracks from the same album "Unbeliever" and "Virtues Of The Beast", and that's pretty much as old as the stuff got, as everything else was from Communion, unless I'm sorely mistaken. They pretty much kept everything fast and up-tempo, and there were times that the band appeared to be enjoying themselves more than the crowd were, if that's at all possible. When introducing songs and whenever his hands weren't on his bass, Seth would be giving us the horns, or just having his hands grabbed by whomever was in the front row at the time, and I must admit he looks a little overwhelmed by the adoration bestowed upon him. Tracks like "Communion", "Lovecraft´s Death" and "Anubis" had Seth's unmistakable vocals on them, but in Sotiris' absence his clean vocals were all pre-recorded, in a similar fashion to the choral and orchestral pieces. "We, The Gods" had Seth, Chris and I'm convinced the session guitarist was from Nightstalker, but have no confirmation for that claim, headbanging in perfect syncopation to Fotis' drum blasting. They wrapped up their set with "Persepolis" then said "Thank you, good night" and walked off. I was left a little stuffed by what certainly felt like an all too short a set, and they had just whet my appetite to hear loads of older stuff, but alas, it was not to be, but hopefully when they're back in December we'll get a longer more varied set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...