Six Feet Under

Lucifer_666

SIX FEET UNDER will release a new DVD, "Wake The Night! Live In Germany", in April 2011. According to Barnes, "It was compiled from footage that we filmed at the Party.San festival in Germany from August 2009. All of the show was shot on high-definition camera, and it just really looks awesome. It's on the same wavelength as our With Full Force video — really excellent show, awesome crowd. This time we were playing at night, so they utilized some really giant pyrotechnics, so it was awesome and frightening at the same time."

Regarding the songwriting process for SIX FEET UNDER's next album, Barnes states, "It's going along good, man. We've got a lot of different things planned for this one — a lot of surprises, a lot of different perspectives on the music and a lot of different input on this whole thing. So I'm really excited to be working on this album. It's really, really heavy so far, the riffs we've come up with. I'm really excited."

He adds, "I hate when people say, 'Oh, it goes back to our roots.' This [new material] does not go back to our roots. So I'm not gonna tell you it goes back to our roots, 'cause it doesn't go back to our roots. What it does is it takes the next step in the evolution of SIX FEET UNDER.

"So look for our next album sometime late next year [or] early 2012. But we're working hard on that right now, so it's a little early to throw that at you.

"Myself, I'm really excited working on this album and seeing how it all turns out, because that's, like, my favorite thing — writing music and being in front of a bunch of people that appreciate it."

• 1 month later...

Bassist Terry Butler (SIX FEET UNDER, OBITUARY, DEATH, MASSACRE) has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"I would just like to put it out there that Greg Gall [drums] and I have parted ways with SIX FEET UNDER.

"As many of you know, I have been helping OBITUARY out on bass over the past year and now will be officially joining them as a permanent band member.

"Being in SIX FEET UNDER for 16 years, I have had the pleasure of meeting a lot of our dedicated fans and have made many friends along the way. I hope to see you out there!

"I wish nothing but the best for Chris Barnes [vocals] and Steve Swanson [guitar] in their future with SIX FEET UNDER."

Florida death metal veterans SIX FEET UNDER have announced the addition of drummer Kevin Talley (DAATH, MISERY INDEX, CHIMAIRA) to the group's ranks.

Commented SIX FEET UNDER frontman Chris Barnes: "I am 110 percent stoked to have Kevin join SIX FEET UNDER. He is undeniably one of the best, if not THE best drummer in death metal, and I'm proud to have him along for the ride!"

In a previous statement, Barnes promised that SIX FEET UNDER's new lineup would be "a death metal force to be dealt with," with "riffs that will rip your face off [and] vocals ala 1993-1995."

• 3 weeks later...

Florida death metallers SIX FEET UNDER have issued the following update:

"Just wanted to give you a SIX FEET UNDER band update and let you all know that we would like to announce our good friend Rob Arnold [CHIMAIRA] will be joining SIX FEET UNDER as second rhythm guitarist for upcoming touring duties, as well as collaborating on the new CD. "

Commented SIX FEET UNDER vocalist Chris Barnes: "I couldn't be happier about the new songs and lineup!

"Rob and myself have been collaborating on new songs along with the band's new drummer, Kevin Talley [DAATH, MISERY INDEX, CHIMAIRA], for the past few months.

"We are all feeling really excited about the band's future, and the raw intensity of the songs that we have created together so far. This is the heaviest most exciting material that I've worked on since 'The Bleeding' [CANNIBAL CORPSE's 1994 album], and I'm stoked that Rob will be helping out creating this CD with us! We've all known each other for a while and we're really looking forward to continue writing the new CD and future tours. We are committed to taking SIX FEET UNDER to the next level of brutality!"

Added Arnold: "It's been an amazing honor and opportunity to have been called upon by one of my biggest idols, Chris Barnes!!

"SIX FEET UNDER and the Barnes-era CANNIBAL [CORPSE] stuff had enormous effects on me as a young musician, and still do to this day.

"In 1996, I was a kid in the front row screaming my head off to 'Lycanthropy' and 'Torn to the Bone'... And now here I am, being asked to play the songs on stage with the band! Dreams do come true!!! And the stuff we've been writing absolutely RIPS! Watch out!!"

• 9 months later...

Florida-based death metallers SIX FEET UNDER have demoed 26 songs for their forthcoming album, tentatively due in early 2012 via Metal Blade Records. According to singer Chris Barnes, "14 or 15" tracks will make the final cut for the follow-up to 2008's "Death Rituals", which will mark the recording debut of SIX FEET UNDER's current lineup — guitarist Rob Arnold (CHIMAIRA), drummer Kevin Talley (DAATH, MISERY INDEX, CHIMAIRA), Barnes and guitarist Steve Swanson. CHIMAIRA guitarist Matt DeVries is handling bass duties on the road, but it not expected to become an official member of SIX FEET UNDER.

• 2 months later...

SIX FEET UNDER Bassist Quits

Matt DeVries (ex- Chimaira), who joined as Six Feet Under's touring bassist in 2011, has decided to quit the death metal act to pursue other musical endeavors. Details on who will be stepping in as the permanent bassist will be announced in the coming months.