The Best Of 2011

Grobodan

Krajnje je dakle vreme, dajte svoje liste za 2011, takođe neke dobre koje nađete zanimljivim.

Bez eksplicitnog vređanja drugih ljudi. Naravno dozvoljeno je i u duhu foruma prozivati tuđe gej muziče ukuse ali imajte meru.

elem da, evo moje, malo je veća ali šta da se radi

The year 2011 was insanely good when it comes to metal IMHO. Good to fantastic albums were pouring out of everywhere and sometimes it was even hard to keep up with all the majesty that was bestowed upon us, so when the time came for me to prepare this list I have put on paper the list of nearly 100 albums that deserved to be mentioned in one way or another. I have tried to narrow down my list as good as I can but I simply couldn’t go below this number. In defense of this list’s size, I will say that I have almost half of these albums on CDs and I hope that I will get my hands on the other half in the near future so I hope that covers it.

I also must note that you should take vaguely the positions on this list. The first three albums marked this year the most for me and the rest can easily switch places, I have written them down as they came on my mind.

50. CHTHONIC – Takasago Army

Manga black metallers from Taiwan are riding the wave of success that “Mirror of retribution” brought them, and although the biggest selling point of this album were provocative pictures of Doris the music on display here is also very good. I just hope that they will not go in the territory of heavy riffs further on because here they have found the perfect balance between them and the atmosphere.

49. VREID – V

I was never too big fan of Vreid but this album made me revisit their discography and listen more carefully what these heirs of Windir have to offer. One big plus on “V” is the inclusion of Strom on guitar that really brought the spirit of Windir with his leads that are spread all across the album and add up on the overall addictive atmosphere.

48. SUIDAKRA – Book of Dowth

Ever since “Caledonia”, German pagan metallers Suidakra get better and better with each consecutive release and “Book of Dowth” is the definitive proof of my words; I would even go as far to say that this is their best album along with the legendary “The Arcanum”. Melodic death black pagan power folk metal (yes, you can hear all of this here!) of highly addictive brand.

47. INSOMNIUM – One for Sorrow

I had a love / hate attitude towards Insomnium for a long time: I wanted to love them because they feature all the elements of melodeath that I enjoy but I simply couldn’t get over sometimes too obvious plagiarism. “One for sorrow” finally crushed all my prejudices into dust with its carefully crafted melancholic brand of melodic death spiced up with clean vocals. This album was one of the best choices for listening during the autumn; it fits like a glove in the overall atmosphere.

46. STRATOVARIUS – Elysium

I have written off this band a long time ago but the main factor that led to their demise, namely Timo Tolkki, is out of the band for good so Stratovarius returned to what they do best – writing good power metal. And if their previous offering “Polaris” promised good things to come, “Elysium” delivered in full and made a believer out of me once again. Very laid back and well balanced album where each and every song counts.

45. DECEASED – Surreal Overdose

King Fowley and his cohort finally return with the new full length after a long pause and even though I feel that this album is not up there with “As the weird travel on” or “Fearless undead machines” it certainly represents fine case of metal supremacy and has more riffs than I have hair on my head.

44. MOURNFUL CONGREGATION – The Book of Kings

Even though new Esoteric kicks large amounts of ass, “The book of kings” is the ultimate funeral doom album of 2011 for me. Sounding like My Dying Bride with manic depression, these four monolithic hymns will make you feel like insignificant worm lost in the depths of ultimate cosmos… or it will bore you to tears, depending on your personal preferences

43. VALLENFYRE – A Fragile King

Vallenfyre is Greg’s (Paradise Lost) way to exorcise the demons of his father’s passing and in the same time return to his musical roots with the help of some high profile buddies. Crust / doom / death done in very faithful way, “A Fragile King” is for my money better than almost all Bloodbath releases, if we want to keep things in the realm of supergroups.

42. GRIDLINK – The Orphan

The most intense 12 minutes you’ll get to hear this year. Words are not enough, you have to experience “The orphan” for yourself to understand it – there is simply no other way.

41. POWERWOLF – Blood of the Saints

Satanic Sabaton? I have heard this comparison and I must admit that it makes sense somehow since both bands are playing up to the point, simple and catchy power heavy metal (although lyrical concept is obviously different). I don’t give two fucks about those Swedes and in the same time Powerwolf really gets my blood flowing and fists pumping every time I hear them. Pure brainless cheesy metal fun!

40. RIOT – Immortal Soul

Riot returns in classic “Thundersteel” line up and the result is worthy of all the hype that it caused. This is the perfect example of melodic heavy / speed metal!

39. EVERGREY – The Glorious Collision

Almost everyone gave up on Evergrey (including me) after the disastrous “Torn”, line up almost completely fell apart and this album marks the new beginning for Tom and co. The music is in the same vein as previous two albums and I must admit that I was skeptical at first but this album is just mighty fine.

38. WITHIN TEMPTATION – The Unforgiving

Pop metal of the highest order we have here. Catchy songs, high budget production, conceptual lyrics, nice looking girl on the microphone… I see nothing wrong here, and you?

37. REVOCATION – Chaos of Forms

Finally I have found some new thrash bands that are interesting, and besides Vector Revocation ripped my face off with their infectious brand of tech deathrash. All the guys in the band are monstrous players (some of them are even Berkley students)… but they don’t give a fuck, all they want is to thrash and the thrashing is good here.

36. WOLF – Legions of Bastards

No thrills no frills – just pure fucking heavy metal, the way it is meant to be! After very bad previous album “Ravenous”, wolves are back with this fine piece of stainless steel to make believers out of us again. The first three tracks are one of the most powerful headbanging combos you’ll get to hear this year.

35. PROTEST THE HERO – Scurrilous

Even though people are connecting Protest The Hero with modern / metalcore bands and you will see them on tours with bands from that genre, Protest The Hero are most definitely one progressive metal band with the good sense about the year they live in… and good sense of humor! “Scurillous” proves this fact definitely and it is also their best album yet.

34. GRAVEYARD – Hisingen Blues

Talk about good timing! Five years ago, no one but long bearded potheads would give two fucks about this band, and in the year 2011 they are on Nuclear Blast and opening for Maiden and Motorhead. This little speech is not meant to take anything from this great album of 70’s rocking worship, and actually this is one album that you can listen with your dad and don’t explain him anything about your fucked up taste.

33. ULCERATE – The Destroyers of All

If Neurosis and Immolation had a love child… Ulcerate grows more and more with each consecutive album and “The destroyers of all” is their finest hour by now. Taking Immolation’s inversed riffing and throwing it into the pits of Neurosis’ unsettling atmosphere, “The destroyers of all” is one wicked album through and through.

32. BELPHEGOR – Blood magick necromance

After lackluster “Walpurgist rites”, Belphegor are back with one slayer of an album that doesn’t bring anything new in their tried and true formula, but anyway it is done with such intensity and fury that it just rips your balls off pleasantly.

31. LAKE OF TEARS – Illwill

One of the biggest surprises of the year 2011: Lake of Tears, Swedish promoters of “dancing with tears in my eyes” philosophy, rediscovered their punk, black and thrash metal roots making one much more pissed off & introspective record than we got used to receive from them. Maybe “Illwill” sounds more like a compilation than one album but repeated listening will fix that.

30. STEVEN WILSON – Grace for Drowning

I can’t help but noticing that “Grace for drowning” is what “The incident” should be: full fledged return of Steven Wilson to the realms of prog. Actually this album was a bit hard for me to get into as it came out in the same time as “Heritage” so I couldn’t pay my full attention to Steve’s work, but slowly everything came into its own. A grower.

29. VICIOUS RUMORS – Razorback Killers

This is the best Vicious Rumors offering ever since “Welcome to the ball”, hands down. That is not so hard if you take into the consideration the competition this album is up against but still, it sounds nice right? Classic heavy thrash sounds, or should we better say US power in all its glory!

28. VEKTOR – Outer Isolation

Vektor are taking old school thrash metal into the frightening future! This band proves that you still can be interesting in a genre that is played to death if you have genuine vision, as this fucker mutant of Destruction and Voivod with complicated song structures will teach you.

27. HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE – 17th Street

This is probably the worst Hammers’ album – with certainly the worst male singer – but as it is, it still offers a healthy dose of timeless metal / rock majesty. If anything, you should at least hear the songs “The grain” and “The day the city died”, such magnificence is really hard to find nowadays.

26. HELL – Human remains

The story of this album is like a fairytale – NWOBHM band from eighties with couple of demos was liked almost by nobody… but one of those who care was world renowned producer / guitar player Andy Sneap who resurrected the band from the deepest grave, arranged them contract and blessed “Human remains” with pristine production. Of course, none of the success would be possible without songs that could hold on and songs they have, so good songs that even naysayers were blown away by this heavy metal monster of an album.

25. STEEL PANTHER – Balls Out

Such a classic as “Feel the steel” can be done only once in the lifetime, Steel Panther have understood it so they are doing here what they naturally do the best – pull out an album full of infectious glam metal / hard rock anthems, creamed with hilarious lyrics from which one can carve out a lifestyle.

24. THE DEVIL’S BLOOD – The Thousandfold Epicentre

One of the most hotly anticipated albums of 2011, “The Thousandfold Epicentre” sees Dutch satarockers diving more into the psych rock realms. It is an absolute pity that the material takes a huge nosedive in quality after the track “Fire burning”, and I simply don’t care how evil, chaos invoking or Satan liberating the last 3 songs are when they are boring as fuck. The rest of the album is top notch, though.

23. TESSERACT – One

One of the few djent bands that are doing it right, and they got the interesting formula by infusing large doses of progressive and ambient sounds making their own style which could be called AmbiDjent. Sadly, their singer left the band soon after the release of “One” and his replacement sound a bit too feminine to my liking… anyway, the quality of “One” cannot be questioned.

22. 40 WATT SUN – The Inside Room

Warning is dead, 40 Watt Sun lives! After the sad demise of doom cult Warning, luckily we got the new band featuring two band members of British doomsters and continuing down the same route of “Watching from a distance”. Very simple but in the same time absolutely effective, I would even say emotionally crippling, doom rockish sound is what we have here.

21. SOLSTAFIR – Svartir Sandar

Double album this is, because all the epicness that these Iceland dudes had in them couldn’t fit on one CD. Maybe a bit too drawn out for its own good, “Svartir Sandar” is one monumental release nevertheless.

20. MOONSORROW – Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

I firmly believe that Moonsorrow is actually an old, one eyed ancient Viking living far far north and taking a form of a band to tell his stories in musical manner. “Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa” was simply perfect soundtrack for snowy beginning of 2011 and such tracks as “Huuto” are as epic as hanging out naked in the woods with Manowar.

19. AMARANTHE – Amaranthe

Yes, I know: you are self respecting metalhead who would be rather caught with three cocks up his ass than smiling and dancing to poppy music… if so, please scroll down a little bit because this album is definitely not for you. How to make modern metal in Soilwork / Scar symmetry vein even catchier? Add a female vocal! Pop metal it is, and it is as catchy as AIDS.

18. ARCH / MATHEOS – Sympathetic Resonance

Actually this album could have easily been released under the Fates Warning moniker as all the band members from this prog gods are present here, but the most notable feature is the return of John Arch, the second coming of Guardian if you will, in the metal field! The result is the best “traditional” prog album of 2011 and probably the best release associated with Fates Warning name ever since “A pleasant shade of gray” days.

17. OBSCURA – Omnivium

Obscura have finally found the voice of their own on “Omnivium”, gone are the days when they were dangerously similar to Death and the likes as ”Omnivium” has carved their own niche in the technical death metal field. I would just like their production to be more organic as, for example, the snare drum sounds as heavy as ping pong ball hitting the concrete but the overall impression is more than positive.

16. TEXTURES – Dualism

Meshuggah are revolutionaries but they created one subgenre that is the epitome of boredom – of course, I’m speaking about djent where the order of the day is how good you can rip off Meshuggah and how good you play whereas the art of songwriting is lost somewhere in process. In that sterile world, an album like “Dualism” comes like a breath of fresh air: Textures are inspired by Meshuggah, they are not ripping them off mind you, every song on the album is totally well balanced which wasn’t exactly the case with their old albums… Their best offering yet.

15. SYMPHONY X – Iconoclast

There is one rule with prog nerds – as the band gets older, they should play gradually softer according to their age. Dream Theater is satanized because they have discovered that they are metalheads in their mid 40’s and it should be said that there are some good reasons for it, and Symphony X went down the same route… Just that they have succeeded to tastefully portray their vision. Double album depicting mechanical visions of cold future is chock full of inhuman playing skills and above all – catchy songs (I swear that I couldn’t get that riff from “The end of innocence” out of my head for days).

14. PORTRAIT – Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae / IN SOLITUDE – The World. The Flesh. The Devil

“The World. The Flesh. The Devil” is in my eyes like a brother album of “Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae” – I have received both in the same time, listened to them in the same time and anyway they possess almost the same spirit. In Solitude’s brand of evil heavy metal is a bit more original but equally deadly. Already classic in my eyes! Mercyful Fate is sadly absent so erase your sorrow with the second album of Swedish answer to Danish gods called Portrait. Everything here invokes the glory days of King, from sound to image and lyrics but the most important thing is that it is done RIGHT! Songs are good and the ghastly atmosphere just perfect, and with Mercyful Fate gone on indefinite hiatus, you will not see me complaining about the slight lack of originality.

13. PRIMORDIAL – Redemption at the Puritan’s Hand

There is only one way from “To the nameless dead”, one of the best metal albums ever, and that is down. But Primordial’s decrease in quality, marked with “Redemption at the Puritan’s Hand”, is heads and shoulders above 99 % of metal scene anyway so we got here another great album, a bit more morose & introspective comparing to its warlike predecessor.

12. RHAPSODY OF FIRE – From Chaos to Eternity

Just one year after glorious “Frozen Tears of Angels”, glorious Italians return to gloriously finish their glorious saga… and it turned out glorious indeed! Scorching & epic, topped off with Fabio’s godly performance “From chaos to eternity” just kills. It is absolutely un-glorious that they had to follow the album with the news of moronic split into two parts, where nobody quite clearly understands the situation.

11. ICED EARTH – Dystopia

Probably the biggest surprise of 2011! Things were looking grim for Iced Earth after two narcoleptic full lengths and departure of band’s icon Matt Barlow but Stu Block (Into Eternity) injected the new life into the dying body and the result is Iced Earth that is on fire, reminiscent of their best days. For the next time, it would be nice to let Stu sings a bit more like himself and to try to copy Matt a bit less though…

10. AUTOPSY – Macabre Eternal

This is how I like my death metal – mean and unclean! Seriously, this is the type of shit our parents always hated us to listen but its demented glory cannot be overlooked. In a world of tighter-than-thou death metallers, it’s quite refreshing to bang the head to this retarded (in a good way, of course!) metal, and it seems that old masters still do it the best. The album is a bit longer that I would like but what the Hell.

9. MYRATH – Tales of the Sands

From out of nowhere, these Tunisians have turned the world of many Power / Prog fans upside down with this album. Finally getting rid of their previously too obvious influences and reaching the originality by injecting their homeland folk music into their infectiously catchy songs, Myrath have created with “Tales of the sands” one album that even bigger names like Kamelot would simply kill for.

8. MASTODON – The Hunter

“The hunter” is the polar opposite of Mastodon’s previous album “Crack the skye” – long winded compositions with proggy leanings are replaced with short, catchy hits with pop mastering where their sludge past can be only spotted in traces. Nevertheless, the quality level stayed intact which shows that big bands can reinvent themselves without losing the true essence of their music.

7. WHILE HEAVEN WEPT – Fear of Infinity

Now on Nuclear Blast, While Heaven Wept have finally received the chance to present their art to the wider spectrum and they have done here one more perfect album of epic prog majesty packed in 37 minutes, making every second important. This is how one ALBUM should be done, with attention paid on every single detail.

6. LEPROUS – Bilateral

With “Bilateral” Leprous have grown out of the tag “Ihsahn’s band” and became a force to be reckoned with. Call them Pain of Salvation without egomaniac on microphone or Ihsahn who is not screaming (the truth is somewhere in between), “Bilateral” will dominate in any way. Progressive album that is catchy and clever in the same time, such a rare thing to behold.

5. TURISAS – Stand Up and Fight

Interesting enough, “Stand up and fight” was the first album from 2011 that I have heard and it has appropriately announced that the year will be filled to the brim with fantastic albums. Turisas are well known for not rushing their art so the result is always stunning. “Stand up and fight” marks Turisas’ separation from Pagan metal movement by cleverly incorporating the full orchestra seamlessly woven into their songs, thus making the whole story much more serious than your usual Korpiklaani-ripoff bullshit group.

4. SEPTIC FLESH – The Great Mass

Dimmu borgir and the others take note – this is how symphonic extreme metal should be done! It seemed that “Communion” was the absolute apex of these Greek slick demons but “The great mass” took the story even further. More chaotic and bizarre, maybe a bit harder to get into but more rewarding nevertheless, “The great mass” is simply fantastic work of gargantuan proportions.

3. NIGHTWISH – Imaginaerium

Tarja who? If “Dark passion play” showed that there is life after her then “Imaginaerium” proves that Nightwish have outgrown her and that limiting brand of opera vocals as Tuomas and the gang have branched into the waters where Tarja would simply sink (probably also due to her weight). Every song is a tale of its own, the production is expensive and grandiose as ever – Nightwish have released their 7th masterpiece in a row and it seems that there are no stopping for them… ever.

2. OPETH – Heritage

This is probably the album that caused the biggest amount of mixed opinions in 2011 as the reviews are going “per aspera ad astra”, so to say. Obviously I belong to the “thumbs up” side of the spectrum so I simply adore Opeth’s foray into prog / 70’s territories that they have leaned to their whole career. This would probably be the best album for me in 2011 if it wasn’t for…

1. AMORPHIS – The Beginning Of Times

And as expected Amorphis have unleashed the album of the year, fourth one in a row, and I simply feel sorry for all the bands that decide to do something in the same year as these Finnish gods because simply no one stands a chance. Majestic classic led by unmistakable vocals of Tomi the Swan – the world was spawned form Amorphis’ egg and that is the only truth!

I also need to mention three EPs that are way too good to be left out so here we go…

3. MY DYING BRIDE – The Barghest O’Whitby

Only one track clocking in almost half an hour, “The Barghest O’Whitby” shows My Dying Bride in monumentally heavy and as old school as it can get mood. For me, this EP even surpasses Esoteric and Mornful Congregation in devastating heaviness.

2. ENSLAVED – The Sleeping Gods

Good folks at Scion Company are giving metal EPs of high caliber bands for free and Enslaved went through the same treatment. While this is clearly some leftover material from the last album’s sessions, “The sleeping gods” is amazing as it is and it just shows how much this band is cut above everyone – they are giving for free the songs that hordes of bands would die for.

1. IMMOLATION – Providence

Also provided by Scion and the same story as Enslaved – Immolation raped everybody in the death metal field with the 5 songs EP they are giving for free… how cult is that? In the same vein as their “Majesty and decay” album, “Providence” is a bit catchier than your usual Immolation but equally deathly.

Већ сам рекао топ 3 (Portrait, Havok, Vektor), а то би могло да се прошири на топ 5, са додатком Devil's Blood-a и Primordial-a. Поред тога, било је још много одличних издања, па да набројим неке (без неког редоследа):

Amebix, Immolation, Esoteric, Gridlink, Karma to Burn, Amorphis, Autopsy, Nightwish, Revocation, Warbringer, Iced Earth, Blaze of Perdition, Krux, Orchid (који се са Krux-oм коље за најбољи Дум албум), Wolf, Satan's Host, In Solitude (уз Portrait Хеви албум године), Toxic Holocaust, My Dying Bride, Cathedral (није ЕП године, јер нешто попут Mpire of Evil већ дуго чекам да чујем) The Konsortium, Saxon...

А сада бендови које сам по први пут чуо:

Vallenfyre - Када се зна да су у бенду такве величине као што су Ерландсон, Мекинтош и Гленкрос, онда бенд не може бити лош. И албум и ЕП су растурили!

Mpire of Evil - EP године, дефинитивно. И овде је присутна ол стар екипа, тако да не може да омане. Ако планирају да следеће године издају албум, за мене ће то бити најишчекиваније издање 2012.

Cormorant - Код њих ме је привукао омот (који је дефинитивно најбољи ове године), а кад сам их погледао на архивама, био сам у фазону "прогресивни Блек, дафак?!" А када сам пустио - вилица до пода. Веома лагано за слушање, несвакидашње, и плус што по мени има неких Primordial момената, а то за бенд може да буде само бонус.

Доста овогодишњег материјала нисам послушао (што због недостатка времена, што због неких других ствари), али ће све доћи на ред, па је сасвим могуће да ће бити неких измена (можда у топ 5, или чак у топ 3).

:pivopije:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

mislim da ti kriterijumi nisu dovoljno strogi :D

mozda bi i meni symphony x bio u top 50 godine kad bi morao da napravim listu, ali svakako nije dobar album :D

Meni je to sjajan album, po temi sam tvrdio to.

I kao što rekoh, skoro pola ove liste imam na diskovima, drugu polovinu bih želeo imati tako da stojim iza svakog albuma.

Ja sam zgranuta redosledom na Grobovoj listi- Amaranthe pre Vreid i Moonsorrow? O ciganima sa 9. mesta necu trositi reci. Od njih pa ka prvom mestu je sve ok. EP isto ok.

Piše negde u uvodu da su redosledi malo nabacani.

Kako neko odredi da je neki album npr na 14. a neki na 32. mestu? Gtfo.

tesko mi je da verujem da je heteroseksualni muskarac napisao recenicu "Nightwish have released their 7th masterpiece in a row" :haha:

Ja ih znam dosta, možda si ti problematičan? :D

Gejoća se povećava ka vrhu liste i to progresivno.

To je da tebe održim napetim do kraja.

10. Glorior Belli - The Great Southern Darkness

9. Haemorrhage - Hospital Carnage

8. Leprous - Bilateral

7. Septic Flesh - The Great Mass

6. Archgoat - Heavenly Vulva (Christ's Last Rites)

5. Immolation - Providence

4. Nader Sadek - In The Flesh

3. Blasphemophagher - The III Command of the Absolute Chaos

2. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion

1. Disma - Towards The Megalith

Evo mog skromnog doprinosa, iako je prvih šest mesta bilo mnogo zajebano poređati. I dalje nisam siguran da li je to redosled koji želim. :haha:

• Upvote 1

Ne znam da li bih mogao da skupim 10 albuma da mi se uopšte svidelo ove godine, jbt. Aj po sećanju šta je bilo od osmice naviše, bez naročitog redosleda:

Aosoth - III

Gridlink - Orphan

Blut Aus Nord - 777 Sect(s)

Blut Aus Nord - 777 The Desanctification

Necros Christos - Doom Of The Occult

Totalselfhatred - Apocalypse In Your Heart

Ascension - Consolamentum

i album godine za moj račun:

NKVD - Vlast

Na ambijentalno/eksperimentalnom polju stvari stoje dosta bolje, ali to nije za ovu temu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGsrmiHB2Aw

Ovo je metal pesma godine, stvarno me mrzi da pravim sad neke liste i poredim ono što se porediti ne može, a svakako sam ove godine mnogo više slušao country, hip-hop, pop... nego metal. A i svi ovde već manje-više znate šta mi se sviđalo a šta ne.

Eto, toliko od mene.

Godina je stvarno bila debelo rodna. Maltene svaki meni bitan bend je izdao čisto zlato od albuma (jedino Metalika jela govna), ali ipak moram da izdvojim sledećih 10 albuma:

10. ROOT - Heritage of Satan

09. NIGHTWISH - Imaginaerum

08. DREAM THEATER - A Dramatic Turn Of Events

07. MEGADETH - Th1rt3en

06. SYMPHONY X - Iconoclast

05. VENOM - Fallen Angels

04. KRUX - III - He Who Sleeps Amongst The Stars

03. ANTHRAX - Worship Music

02. MACHINE HEAD - Unto The Locust

...iiiii šampion...

01. ICED EARTH - DYSTOPIA

Nadam se da će iduća godina biti ista. Na čekanju su silna izdanja... Testament, Priest, Accept, Crimson Glory, BLACK FUCKING SABBATH,... uh, svašta nešto! Nego nije li trebalo da izađe ove godine drugi Control Denied? Šta bi s tim više u pičku materinu?!

• Upvote 1

svakako sam ove godine mnogo više slušao country, hip-hop, pop... nego metal.

Navedi te albume, naslov ne zahteva metal. Skrpiću ja neku listu, definitivno ima odličnih albuma van metala ove godine.

• Downvote 1