The Lord Weird Slough Feg

Goxy

• 10 months later...

Mike Scalzi, singer-guitarist and frontman of the influential San Francisco’s classic metal kings SLOUGH FEG has finally announced that “The Animal Spirits”, the band’s 8th full-lenght album, is currently under final recording touches.

The album will probably take everyone by surprise, as always, when SLOUGH FEG is involved. “The Animal Spirits” appears to be a new step in the eclectic, powerful style choice of SLOUGH FEG, and the artwork will also reflect some changes. Unlike their previous releases, the artwork will be more simple and immediate to fit the album atmosphere better…

This is the tracklist:

Trick the Vicar

The 95 Thesis

Ask the Casket

Heavyworlder

Materia Primia

Lycanthropic Fantasies

Second Coming

Free Market Barbarian

Tactical Air-war

As previously announced, SLOUGH FEG will be appearing at the 2011 edition of HEADBANGERS OPEN AIR in Germany and is looking for some more dates to wrap around this festival appearance in order to promote “the Animal Spirits” in Europe. Interested European promoters are invited to get in touch with Cruz Del Sur Music with their offers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Always seen as one of the most unique bands in metal today, and one of the most underrated (especially since SLOUGH FEG have never really gotten that deserving break in their homeland) likewise, SLOUGH FEG have amassed quite the dedicated following over the 20 or so years that they’ve been active as a band and have churned out such classic American metal albums as “Dawn Amongst The Deadmen”, “Twilight Of The Idols” and “Traveler” (the latter being the album many claim as the SLOUGH FEG classic).

Led by the charismatic vocalist/guitarist/lyricist Mike Scalzi, who has easily established himself as one of the best and most distinct vocalists and lyricists in all of metal, “The Animal Spirits” (which features an appearance from Brocas Helm vocalist Bob Wright) is will align itself as another gem in the illustrious SLOUGH FEG repertoire and of course be considered as one of the great metal releases to be released this year.

As for the significance of the album title “The Animal Spirits”, Scalzi delves further: “The title sounds like it could mean plenty of things, but really refers to an Aristotelian theory of perception that was somehow taken seriously until the mid to later 1700's (?!) Why this was I don't know, but it involves these bizarre fluid called ‘animal spirits’ traveling through a person's veins carrying information of what they have perceived, storing it in the heart, and then releasing it again when that thing is remembered. It really a primitive precursor to the idea of neurons firing in a chain, containing ideas. So that's what people will find if they do a little research about the title.”

Going further into the themes of the album, Scalzi elaborates: “The content of the record is (subject wise) is not too far from usual SLOUGH FEG material. The first two songs are about Medieval Catholic theology. Then it switches to basic horror themes, a couple of songs about some insane person who thinks he's a vampire, and then a werewolf (inspired by the Gothic soap-opera ‘Dark Shadows’) then there's one of our weird ‘what if Dicky Betts of the Allman Brothers had joined Iron Maiden in 1980’ instrumentals. Then a few more songs about frustration, misery and madness, and a final fast, driving rock/metal number called ‘Tactical Air-War’, which will be sung by Bob Wright of Brocas Helm!”

To be released in North America on Oct 26th via Profound Lore Records, tracklisting for “The Animal Spirits” goes as follows:

1. Trick the Vicar

2. The 95 Thesis

3. Materia Prima

4. Free Market Barbarian

5. Lycanthropic Fantasies

6. Ask the Casket

7. Heavyworlder

8. The Tell-Tale Heart

9. Kon-Tiki

10. Second Coming

11. Tactical Air-War

• Upvote 1

Evo ovako, posle par slušanja ovaj album se nameće kao logičan naslednik Ape uprising, znači kao što je Scalzi rekao album je malo konkretniji i više song oriented... hm, ne znam kako da ovo objasnim ali da kažem da su mi poslednja 2 mnogo lakša za slušanje od Traveller ili Down among recimo ali svi trademark delovi TLWSF zvuka su još tu, samo su pesme hitičnije. Kao što je Fenriz rekao

Our style and Slough Feg has very little in common, mostly because they cram alot of notes into their riffs and I do not, also rhythms are very different but it’s great honour to be mentioned with them as they fought the HEAVY METAL fight in the darkest year of heavy metal: 1998. so drink some beer in the kitchen out of a horn for them!

E sad su rifovi malko prostiji :lol: nadam se da razumete.

Jebes ga Grobo, rekoh vec, meni nije tako hitican album, vise virtuozniji nekako i za opustanje... Lord Weird album za opustanje, i manje heavy uzivljavanja, podosta ima mid-tempo pesama, u principu ona "95 Thesis" ispade jedna od brzih :D A uz "The Tell-Tale Heart" i rani favourite. Jedino fali albumu mozda neka maaalko duza pesma, ali ipak prvi utisak - o.d.l.i.c.n.o!

E slobo samo da ti kazem dok si u gradu evo me kod tebe slusham novi album :)

Možeš samo voćke da dobiješ od mene ;)

Jebes ga Grobo, rekoh vec, meni nije tako hitican album, vise virtuozniji nekako i za opustanje... Lord Weird album za opustanje, i manje heavy uzivljavanja, podosta ima mid-tempo pesama, u principu ona "95 Thesis" ispade jedna od brzih :D A uz "The Tell-Tale Heart" i rani favourite. Jedino fali albumu mozda neka maaalko duza pesma, ali ipak prvi utisak - o.d.l.i.c.n.o!

Znaš šta, kontam da je stvar u tome što su tebi rani favoriti te mirnije pesme a meni one kraće i brže, tako da kontam da ima istine na obe strane ;) sve u svemu, još slušanja će otkriti pravu istinu. i da, why aren't these guys huge?

It seems to me that „Ape uprising“ has just been released, I’m still spinning it quite regularly and we already have the new release by The Lord Weird Slough Feg (only this name is real) for all their fans to enjoy again in their inimitable brand of truest fucking Metal this side of the underground. This band is unfortunately still criminally underrated in global Metal circles but they have garnered the cult following and glorious reviews all around and those in the know are aware that TLWSF belongs to the very top of contemporary metal scene with their Thin Lizzy / Irish Heavy metal full of guitar bravures that is firmly rooted in the past glories but timeless in its execution just like any good metal should be. And although there wasn’t big amount of time between the two albums, luckily the quality didn’t fall one bit and „The animal spirits“ follows down the same route that „Ape uprising" has taken, and now let me elaborate on this... TLWSF's latest two releases are not as progressive and ambitious as, say, „Hardworlder“ but instead they have taken the more song oriented approach and trimmed down the album length in that process. Songs are more concrete and catchy, also the overall tempo of „The animal spirits“ is closer to the mid waters but fear not, you will find some fast numbers like the opening two minute punch „Trick the vicar“. While keeping in mind that, I must still notice that mr Scalzi and his cohort have packed bulk of trademark details into the music so closer inspection will reveal their standard melodic Maiden / Lizzy / old rock / God knows what fretboard wizardry, unpredictable songs stuctures and above all comes Scalzi’s soaring tenor. So on the first couple of listenings "The animal spirits" will caught you immediately with some infectuous moments that will garner your return to it so as you give yourself further away to it you will slowly unwrap the layers and enjoy – an all of it in freaking 38:40 minutes... Masterfully done. The material is very versatile so you will face standard Feg hymn "The 95 thesis“, galloping guitar instrumental „Materia prima“, mellow „Second coming“ driven by soulful soloing, intense „Tactical air-war“ (with guest vocals of Bob Wright of Brocas Helm) and lots of things in between, I will not spoil your fun anymore. From the earliest inceptions of Rock all the way to forward thinking song arranagements, heavily based in golden times of Metal but not sounding retro or cheap just for the sake of it... Yes, The Lord Weird Slough Feg still has it and continues with „The animal spirits“ one of the most exciting travels in nowadays’ metal. Why aren’t these guys huge?