Type O Negative

Nik

DM- The video for “September Sun”- why that song and can you tell us “something” about the video? Is any of the footage that you filmed on tour in there?

JK-We filmed it last Summer in Serbia and I like the way it looks. There’s quite a bit of computer generated graphics in it and the production company we worked with did a great job. For the most part, the story is based on the lyrics. We didn’t use any of the footage that was shot on tour in the video.

To verovatno znaci da ce taj snimak biti na mozda njihovom sledecem DVD u

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hmmm a ko je pustio buvu da su kod nas snimili spot za "The Profit Of Doom"?

Njet to nije tacno koliko je meni poznato (a mozda i jesu ma koga uopste bole cose?)

Inace danas sam imao srece i nasao sam Dead Again, i pazario ga :wub:

Dizajn bukleta je do jaja, lepo iskazuje Petrovo preobrazenje u Hriscanina :mrgreen:

Mislio sam da ce biti lakse ako budem citao tekstove na ovoj laznoj cirilici ali sipak, plus ima zaista nesto na ruskom oko celog bukleta, i koliko sam skapirao ima veze sa nekim narkomanima, u sustini moracu da nadjem nekog ko poznaje veoma dobro ruski pa da mi prevede. :D

:blink: oni imaju road runner izdanja?!?

Secam se kada sam u decembru bio bila je prica nista od roadrunnera ne drzimo jer su skupi, e mislim zaista....

Nista skupicu nekako kesh pa da uzmem world coming down.

Edited by Ultimate Bastich

• 1 month later...

Type O Negative Interview with Johnny Kelly in Support of Dead Again

by Dixon Christie

PunkTV.ca: We are just about to talk to Johnny from Type O Negative. Hey Johnny, it is Dixon Christie here.

Hey, how is it going man?

PunkTV.ca: It is super, how are you doing today?

I’m doing ok, enjoying the nice weather.

PunkTV.ca: You guys are taking a break in Brooklyn, New York right now?

Yeah, I am in Stanton Island. We have been on a break since November.

PunkTV.ca: And getting ready for a big spring coming up with Hatebreed and Three Inches of Blood.

Yeah, that is a lot of metal.

PunkTV.ca: I was going to say now have you succumb to the glory and honor that is Three Inches of Blood?

I checked out their MySpace page when I was told that they were up for the tour, and I thought they were pretty good and I recommended them. I suggested them out of what the choices were.

PunkTV.ca: I don’t think that many people have that 80s metal influenced thrash point of reference, so a lot of this is really new to them. Even Type O Negative, if you are putting out an album every five years, you constantly have to reintroduce yourself to a market that gets younger and younger.

I am just appreciative that I still get the opportunity to introduce us to people. Technically, Type O Negative is a 80’s band. The band didn’t really reach any commercial notoriety until the 90’s, but the band has been around since ’89.

PunkTV.ca: You can certainly hear a lot of thrash influences on modern rock bands of today.

Yeah, I am still waiting for someone to top Metallica’s Master of Puppets.

PunkTV.ca: Did you check out Trivium at all?

One of the first tours that Trivium did was opening up for Danzig.

PunkTV.ca: Right, and you were playing for Danzig at the time.

Yeah, so I saw them every night. As far as the new bands and stuff I think that they are doing something that is pretty cool.

PunkTV.ca: The comparison between Trivium and Metallica it is profoundly similar right?

I definitely disagree with that. I mean, they did a nice cover of Master of Puppets, but really when you think about it, at the time, Metallica pretty much re-invented the wheel. I haven’t seen a band that ground breaking as far as metal goes. A lot of the other bands over the last few years have been patterning themselves after a few of those bands, and it is not like being innovative, it is more plagiarizing to me.

PunkTV.ca: Well, what about what Type O Negative has done in as far as creating a genre to yourself that people still don’t really know how to define?

We got classified as Goth. I guess we come from a lot of different things.

PunkTV.ca: Like the Cult and Sisters of Mercy.

Yeah, and Pink Floyd, and The Beatles, and Duran Duran. We didn’t just grab from one thing. Between the four of us, we are into so many different things and we bring a lot of that stuff to the table when we get together to work on something. So, it isn’t like, “Hey, let’s just draw from Sisters of Mercy and we will put distortion on it and tune it to B ,and we’ll have something different”. I think it is a little bit more depth to it than that.

PunkTV.ca: It is what it is. There is no agenda to create.

With Type O, I really think that the one thing that we accomplished, and one of the most important things for a band, is that we have our own sound and identity. Whether it is a popular thing or not, that is definitely subject to debate, but it’s like once you hear a song come on your radio or put a CD in you can tell right away it is Type O Negative.

PunkTV.ca: So before we talk about the album I want to talk about the energy that you guys are sharing in the studio. Everyone knows that you left a long time relationship with Roadrunner, and it had been good and bad. Good in the sense that you had all the creative control, but bad in the sense that, obviously, the deal that you are going to negotiate when you are twenty compared to later down the road is going to be quite different. Tell us about the decision to not renew with Roadrunner and go with SPV?

Basically when we delivered Life Is Killing Me, that had fulfilled the contractual obligation to Roadrunner. We weren’t completely opposed with re-signing to them. We had fielded some offers from a few labels, and Roadrunner put in another offer, and they wanted us to resign with them and stuff. For a while we were considering it, figuring that if we have been with them for so long we know what we are getting into and it’s familiar territory for us. SPV came in and they counter offered what Roadrunner was offering, and it was so much better in our favor that it was crazy to not take it.

PunkTV.ca: Is SPV the perfect label for you guys?

I guess with any record company-band relationship there is always going to be problems. We are not businessmen; we are a band. We want what is best for our band and a record company is a business. They want to make money and that is their goal. It is not a charity, so knowing that they have certain responsibilities that they have to answer for... that to them is to put out numbers and make a profit, and ours is to try to make the best record that we possibly can. With knowing how all that stuff works, yeah, there is definitely things that would have been nice to seen done differently, but at the same time when the record was finished, when they were promoting it and stuff, I saw print ads everywhere; they were really aggressive with radio play and stuff. Just some of the stuff it had taken to get there left little to be desired, that’s all.

PunkTV.ca: Dead Again debuted #27 on the Billboard charts, which would have been the highest place that you guys have ever debuted, and the highest position you have ever been on the charts. Obviously, the system that they deployed seemed to be working for you.

They were very happy with that. It was SPV’s highest chart positioning for any band that they ever had in the States. When the record came out it looked like everything was going to pan out really well. Everybody is excited when you have a good first week.

PunkTV.ca: So why take the time off then? Do you lose the momentum waiting for the big packages like the Jagermeister package and stuff like that? Is there a momentum lost during that period?

My instinct is to agree with that. I thought that we should have continued to work right after we finished that last tour… that is when we should have been working. I think that from the time the record was out… I think we should have been finishing up about now, which is what we used to do on the first two records. On Bloody Kisses we toured for eighteen months on it, then we were home for six months and we wrote and recorded and released October Rust within that time, and we were back on the road for another fourteen months. I think that for a band like us, that is the important thing to do. We are not going to get a lot of airplay; we are not going to get a lot of MTV support and stuff like that. You get it in drips and drags, but that’s it. Really, the way for the band to be successful, I think, is to tour. Now it seems like after October Rust the touring cycles on the records got shorter and shorter, and anytime I ask for an explanation I don’t get one. There are a couple of things where I guess it does make sense, but at the same time it is still disappointing in its own way. With Life Is Killing Me, it was the last record for Roadrunner, and they knew at that point while we were supporting it that we weren’t going to re-sign, so they weren’t as aggressive in promoting the record. So that record wasn’t getting the support that it needed, and so then it was like what we should be doing now is we should be working on a new record to have for our new record company as fast as possible, which ended up taking a few years anyways.

PunkTV.ca: You would go out and tour for three years. I mean you would be out almost ever single night, three hundred nights a year.

I don’t know about that. Even for my standards that is a lot. But I think you do a few weeks of a run and you go home for a week or two weeks or something, but I don’t think that you should sit home for six months and then we are out again. To me that doesn’t make sense.

PunkTV.ca: I would think that SPV would be really good at getting you festival dates in Europe and working out big shows.

A lot of that stuff I think is a misconception about what a record company actually does. A record company doesn’t get a tour for a band, your booking agent does that. What it is is – a record company and a band and booking agents and promoters – you all try to work together to try and get the most exposure. So a record company will put your record out and they will expect you to tour so they can promote the album and the record that you are out supporting. SPV is not in the business of booking tours and festivals and stuff. Like with Jager, they basically called us and said, “This is what we are doing and we want to put you with these guys, are you into doing it?” The whole thing happened really fast.

PunkTV.ca: Are you friends with Jamie?

I met Jamie a couple of times and we have a couple mutual friends. When he was much younger he used to work for Type O’s management. So that was kind of weird and, yeah, I met him doing Headbangers Ball a couple of times and I have seen them play a couple of times, but as far as hanging out we have never really hung out.

PunkTV.ca: Considering the show he hosts, he is kind of like rock and roll royalty a little bit.

Yeah, I would imagine that he knows everyone.

PunkTV.ca: I also know a couple of your videos have been doing ok on Headbangers Ball. We don’t get it up here in Canada but I was happy to hear that they recently added “September Sun”.

I don’t know if it really fits on Headbangers Ball but that is ok.

PunkTV.ca: The word “headbanger” has grown to mean so many things.

It isn’t the same thing as when I was younger.

PunkTV.ca: Let’s talk about drum production. I loved the production on October Rust, it was monstrous, but I read that the label tried to pigeon hole October Rust into being something a little too big and too polished?

I wouldn’t blame it entirely on them. They had very high expectations for it because of the success we were coming off of with Bloody Kisses. I think a little bit of that pressure was put on Peter too. I think that is where he really needed to deliver something that would be over the top from the previous effort. I think it is a great record and there is definitely stuff on it that I would have liked to have seen done a little differently, but now in retrospect I think it definitely has its place in our catalogue and it is like a photograph of a point in time where you are mentally and physically. I like the aspect of it being over the top in terms of the production and all the layers and all the instrumentation. Everything was over the top and there were just so many tracks on that record.

PunkTV.ca: I know you guys did another cover in Dead Again; you did a cover of “Bad Moon Rising” that didn’t quite make it to the album.

Yeah we did the basic tracks for it and we like walked away from it for a day or so and listening back to it just didn’t feel right, so we scrapped it. We already had like over eighty minutes of music recorded between the other songs going so long and all this other stuff, so we had to trim something anyways. The way that came out we were just like it was an easy decision for that to be the first thing to go so we save another three minutes.

PunkTV.ca: I know that you guys have got two versions of the CD and also I just learned today that there is a three album vinyl set with t-shirt.

Oh, yeah, I am not considering that to be a third release. I am considering that to be a part of the second release with the new artwork and stuff, but they did a vinyl version on that which I thought was pretty cool.

PunkTV.ca: Do you have it?

They actually sent me one… we were supposed to do a record release party in Brooklyn so they sent some stuff to my house for give-aways and stuff like that and things for the band to autograph, and I opened up the box and I saw a vinyl package in there and I sent them an email and I said, “You are going to have to send another vinyl package because I am keeping this one”.

PunkTV.ca: I need to talk to somebody about getting myself a copy because hearing you guys on vinyl would be very nice and warm sounding considering the detail that goes into the production.

The thing about that though I learned later on was back then, with vinyl and stuff, they were mixing it to be played on vinyl so now with stuff like this a new release you are mixing it initially to sound good on CD so it may sound completely different and not necessarily in a positive way.

PunkTV.ca: I was talking to Dead Kennedys’ Easy Bay Ray about how he does a lot of production, and when they first started doing all their albums from the 80’s they sounded like shit because they had been mixed for vinyl and not for CD, and how he kind of had to re-teach himself how to master for CD.

Especially now with Pro Tools and all the plug-ins that you have for mastering and things like that it is instant. You are working on a good rig and it is going to sound pretty much exactly the way that you are mixing it. You are not trying to compensate for something, say like vinyl.

PunkTV.ca: It would be a completely different process like mixing for mp3. Most kids don’t realize that when they are listening to an mp3 they are listening to the most compressed version of the song.

I really don’t have a problem with mp3s. In the context of what I am usually listening to it on, which is an iPod, it is not the greatest invention in terms of sound quality to begin with. With that stuff you get the general idea which, I guess, is like the proper use for an mp3.

PunkTV.ca: Well let me ask you this: after basing away on drums for the better part of twenty five years are you going to be able to hear the difference?

You know, probably not [Laughs].

PunkTV.ca: I spend most of my life in the pit in between monstrous speakers and the audience doing photos and stuff and I am sure I can’t hear the difference myself.

Also, as you get older, there are certain frequencies that you don’t hear as well just from age, let alone pummeling your ear drums for a couple of decades. I remember when I hurt my ears standing in front of the PA going to see Zodiac Mind Warp. I hate to say it but I think White Zombie defiantly took a lot from this band.

PunkTV.ca: So I got a couple questions we ask everybody and the first is what would surprise kids most to learn about you? They might not know that you played in Danzig of course, but you also play in a band called Seventh Void and a Led Zeppelin tribute band. Am I missing anything that would surprise kids?

No, as of right now that is pretty much it.

PunkTV.ca: Ok we got one question that we ask everybody and that is which of the following experiences have you had: have you seen the face of God, have you had an alien encounter, or have you seen a ghost?

You know I haven’t seen any of that stuff.

PunkTV.ca: I am searching for signs of faith, Mr. Johnny Kelly.

Then look within yourself.

PunkTV.ca: I got one special question just for you: is John Bonham the greatest drummer that ever lived or if not is it Bill Ward from Black Sabbath?

Aw… dude… I would say that ever lived on Earth I would have to go with Bonham, but both of them are my biggest influences.

PunkTV.ca: Any drum fan would know why you play in a Led Zeppelin cover band for fun.

Yeah, that is the one I work at the hardest out of all of them.

PunkTV.ca: Do you guys play “Poor Tom”?

No, but I was playing it at rehearsal the other night. That is a tricky one.

PunkTV.ca: Are there any particular Led Zeppelin songs that you will jam out just to warm yourself up?

I guess my biggest challenge is to conquer “Achilles Last Stand”.

PunkTV.ca: That should be a battle that you can take to your grave I suspect?

Yeah, there are a couple of solos in there, and I have managed to land a few of them, but some of them are so out of control.

PunkTV.ca: Isn’t that amazing that you could play professionally your whole life with some of the best touring bands in modern rock and still be battling to master what everybody else would consider to be some sloppy fills? As a drummer you know how difficult it must be to play those.

One of the things that I learned is it is not always what you are playing, it is what you are not playing. It is really about working on a song. If I want to do a drum solo, I will just do a drum solo and work on that, but to work on a song I think it is the higher priority and that has always been more important to me. It is not just about nailing great drum tracks, because some of the greatest Sabbath and Zeppelin songs have mistakes all over them, but they are still great songs.

PunkTV.ca: But now with Pro Tools there are no more mistakes.

Not necessarily, sometimes you leave things there anyways because it has character, and to go in there and try to clean it up and make it perfect it winds up losing something along the way.

PunkTV.ca: I meant to ask you: triggers or no triggers?

Depends on the band. I don’t use any triggers with Type O. The only time I use triggers is if I trigger the kick drum when I play with Danzig.

PunkTV.ca: Just so you can get the same sounding kick that you want all the time.

Actually, it is what he wants. He likes to hear to kick drum in the monitors a certain way. We use a Marshal D3 electronic module, then you plug the triggers into that. I use a couple of like rolling pads for certain effects like the tympanis and stuff like that.

PunkTV.ca: Do you do that of course because you can’t bring tympani drums on the road with you?

Well, they are kind of hard to fit in the trailer. I wouldn’t mind having the tympanis to go with the whole Bonham thing and stuff but I would hate to lug those things around.

PunkTV.ca: Are you lugging your own gear?

When I play with the Led Zeppelin cover band you bet your ass I am. I put it in my truck, I drive it there, then I break it down myself at the end of the night. When I am on the road with the other bands I have a drum tech and stuff. It is just like another thing that could possibly break. It is just something else to just get in the way of everything. With the triggers and stuff it is just for a couple of things, so I don’t sweat it at all and it makes everything simple.

PunkTV.ca: Alright well I am Dixon Christie here with PunkTV.ca and of course I have been on the line with Johnny Kelly of Type O Negative and Danzig. You have been very generous in your responses and your time, thank you so very much.

Thank you man, I appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...
Oduvek su bili, ali su na nekim albumima smanjili sa sarkazmom, primer World Coming Down, i tu ga sledi Dead Again u neku ruku.

na world coming down albumu nam je Petar Celicni otkrio smrt kao cinjenicu, a na dead again-u, je otkrio boga.

j*bi ga, omatorilo se.

Pre bih rekao da se sazrelo, meni je recimo world coming down bio veoma tezak za slusanje, zbog samih tekstova koji su veoma licni Petru, taj mi je tada i bio najmanje zanimljiv album ali sa vremenom mi je postao jedan od boljih Type O albuma...

Steta samo sto ne izvode vise pesama sa njega...

A sto se tice Dead Again i pronalazenja hriscanstva, mislim da je to samo jos jedna u nizu zajebancija Petrovih, mada sa njim se nikada ne zna...

U svakom slucaju album je odlican. :da: