Enslaved

Ravendark

ENSLAVED - AXIOMA ETHICA ODINI

Indie Records CD

Once again, as for the already countless times before, masters of Norwegian progressive black metal art have returned with yet another amazingly done record! And what a fine full-length this is! Enslaved have yet again proved that they are absolute rulers of their art and that they have crafted their music in one of the finest jewels within present extreme metal scene. Simply, I will not mistake if I say that Enslaved are one of the best extreme/black metal bands today. They’re Pink Floyd of Norway! Few could only compare with them. I mean, the band has reached definitely some higher art of creativity and existence. One could say that everything has started with ‘’Ruun’’ but the evoluction have began to grow much before just mentioned phenomenal full-length. Enslaved is lyrically, musically and visually the perfect-crafted group! Their upcoming effort entitled ”Axioma Ethica Odini” is yet another trophy in their already very rich discography.

Forthcoming issue starts with furious''Ethica Odini'' - a track which is full of emotional moments and well-crafted guitar tunes. The solo for this particular song is just a perfect one. But, one more thing was also very interesting after the checking of the opener song. This upcoming release is going to be closer to infamous ''Ruun'', especially production-wise. Also, after the checking of the next composition ''Raidho'' I was completely sure that ''Axioma Ethica Odini'' is going to be musically closer to ''Ruun'' then to their previous effort “Vertebrae”. While “Vertebrae” had a kind of specific and atmosphere-like vibe, on the other hand ”Axioma Ethica Odini” is based on catchier but yet very atmospheric and monumental melodies. And yet again Enslaved have proved that they have very unique sense for the composing with the 3rd track ''Waruun''. This song starts with slower tempo but later becomes faster and monumental. One thing is for sure, melancholy is the strongest word that could explain Enslaved's particular craft. Each song of the forthcoming full-length has this melancholic and even fatalistic sense – it feels like you are always going onwards the final and inevitable cosmic end. So far Enslaved have done very well this mixture between clean and scream vocal parts, but I humbly think that on this record they have reached the finest balance between clean and harsh ones. Moreover, this time the mixture between two types of vocals sounds truly divine. Just check out the track ''Giants''. But, I also have to mention one more thing: now clean vocals are even more present then before, so in some occasions I could even notice that there are more clean voices then screamed ones. I guess that Herbrand Larsen's vocals are something like a trademark for ”Axioma Ethica Odini”. Since ''Blodhemn'' Enslaved have slowed down their tempo, but yet here and there you will notice some faster moments, also there are more progressive pieces even then before. In several moments it was very hard to notice a difference between Enslaved's and Ihsahn's music. Just check out the title ''Singular'' with all its progressive riffs and breaks and you will see of what I am talking about. Also, the songs are sounding completely different to each other which was indeed a hard task even for such a masters of their art as Enslaved band members are.One of the longest and most peaceful compostitions on the entire record is the closing one ''Lightening''. This particular anthem starts with enchanted and magical vocals of Larsen and then just perfectly and epically continues with Grutle's brutal screams-such a awesome combination and such a supreme ending of the one of the best albums in 2010! Their vocals truly represent the battle between chaos and order, in one way or another. Aside of guitar riffs, lines and melodies which are obviously playing a big role on the entire material the atmospheric-like keyboards are equally important in their own way.

The album was recorded at three different studios in Bergen, Norway: Duper Studio, Earshot Studio and Peersonal Sound Studio. Ivar Bjørnson has the following to say on the process: “we had come to a point where two different variables were reaching high levels. The first being our need to control the production and actual recording in a detailed and active manner, the second being our actual recording and production competence reaching a level high enough where taking control ourselves would make sense. Sure, every kid (in homes where religion doesn’t forbid computers, obviously) has a full studio set-up today – but a studio is so infinitely much more than just “a studio”. We’ve done ten albums in different studios and have developed our own preferences. I need to get into a certain frame of mind and I need to work focused and undisturbed to get the right energy into the songs. There are these atom-sized nuances that make recorded parts stand out and be great – doing everything “ourselves” in our own environment seems to be one such positive factor for us. When we came to the point where we were handing over the tracks to Jens for him to mix, we were very pleased with the sound as it was recorded; we’ve never been this confident at the hand-over-to-mix-point before. And lo and behold: the mixes turned out to be absolutely killer – Jens mixed them far above our wildest dreams! It has the warmth and organic qualities we cherish so much in our instruments and amplifiers, and at the same time he has brought forward the harsh edge and dark energy in our songs. I might have said that even though I love the “Vertebrae” production, because it fits the songs and that album’s atmosphere so perfectly, I didn’t think we would go any “softer” than that, productionwise. It seemed like I for once were able to predict something about the next album… Finally the mastering was executed perfectly by Chris; preserving the album’s dynamics, depth and layers in a perfect way. Who gives a flying seagull if it isn’t the loudest album ever? We’re not about hits and radio-compression; we’re about work, conveying of visions and transforming energies.”

Cover art was done by Norwegian artist Truls Espedal . Grutle Kjellson sums it up: “On every new album cover, me and Ivar comes up with the idea of what the cover art shall include in terms of elements, symbolism and so forth. After that we contact Truls, and tell him about our ideas for the cover art. Then we arrange a meeting where we sit down for a couple of hours making sketches. Truls also has the opportunity to come up with his own ideas of how we can transform our original ideas the best possible way. And, don’t worry; Truls has made a masterpiece this time as well! The cover art is simply amazing! Amazing…”

Ivar Bjørnson, Grutle Kjellson & co. have done more than amazing job! I can even dare to say that ''Axioma Ethica Odini'' stands as one of the best records, if not the best one, in indeed rich Enslaved's legacy. I'm at loss for words (me too – note by Slobodan Trifunovic)! ''Axioma Ethica Odini'' is a masterpiece - recommended !!!!

Edited by Grobodan

Eh, da lepo je to što su mi linkovali recenziju ali, realno, za sada mi je bilo najlepše kad su mi Guardijani posvetili čitavu stranu na njihovom sajtu i tu postavili sve moje video i audio intervjue koje sam u proteklih par meseci uradio sa njima.

Voleo bih jedog dana i sa Enslaved-om da uradim jedan video intervju!

Realno, odavno jedan album nije postao ovoliki kult na yumetalu pre samog izlaska.

:pivopije::meshuggah:

Dobro, bila je ludnica i za novi Guardijan. Sećam se kada sam morao da opisujem kako koja pesma zvuči:)

Edited by Despot!