Enslaved

Ravendark

• 1 month later...
Enslaved / Shining (NO) will be the main headliner of Roadburn Festival 2010, playing their 90 minute Armageddon Concerto on Saturday, April 17th.

Both Enslaved and Shining (NO) are indisputably two of Norway’s most hard-hitting and progressive bands, constantly pushing musical boundaries on their own. Now both bands will be joining forces again, and impress and shock Roadburn Festival 2010 with a rare performance of the Armageddon Concerto –for the first time ever outside of Scandinavia.

The Armageddon Concerto will lead Roadburn Festival 2010 on a journey from our present state to the inevitable downfall of this world - through Ragnarok and a following period of vacuum and nothingness, a brief and painful post-apocalyptic era; and finally through the rise from the ashes to a new beginning in a distant time and space.

Composed by Enslaved’s Ivar Bjørnson and Shining’s Jørgen Munkeby and arranged together with the band members, Bjørnson describes the Armageddon Concerto as “an experience of a life time. Prog, doom, jazz, extreme metal, northern mythology, science fiction –this is going to be massive.”

roadburnenslavedshining.jpg

• 1 month later...

Uf, ja to radim redovno. :D Samo ako ujutru ne mora da me probudi budilnik - uvek moze. :da: I stalno eksperimentisem sa zanrovima, da nadjem onaj koji mi najbolje odgovara. :D Mada, primetio sam da, logicno, najbolje spavam uz albume koje znam napamet i koje najvise volim. Evo, nocas nameravam da zakonacim uz Tool-ov "10.000 Days". :da:

• 3 weeks later...

Founding member/songwriter/rhythm guitarist Ivar Bjørnson of Norwegian masters of progressive/experimental metal ENSLAVED has issued the following studio update:

"This is a short blog from the studio where we — ENSLAVED — have started to record our new album. We are doing the drums in Duper Studios here in Bergen; this time around we are recording everything in our hometown, something we last did with [2004's] 'Isa'. Iver Sandøy (TRINACRIA, MANNGARD, EMMERHOFF & THE MELANCHOLY BABIES) is engineering the drum recording; and we feel we are in very good hands. The remaining instruments will be recorded in Herbrand [Larsen, keyboards] and [lead guitarist] Ice Dale's Earshot Studio, with a few small exceptions done in Peersonal Sound (my own studio).

"We're starting off as we always do: with me and [drummer] Cato [Bekkevold] going in first.

"The session started out beautifully with the perfect starting point for the drum sound and the first song being laid down by Cato. This song is a musical and lyrical contemplation on a rune — one associated with travel...

"We'll get back to more on the songs later!

"After 'Vertebrae',it has been a hectic period, with shows, tours and everything that isgoing on around the band. Yet it has been a remarkably self-energizingprocess making this new album. For starters, the dynamics have neverbeen better, both literally in the music — and metaphorically, meaningthe working climate within the band.

"Writing music isrewarding when you know the other members will take your ideasseriously and give everything they've got to make the best out of everysingle idea. The amazing feedback we've gotten after 'Vertebrae'hasn't exactly made us more modest: We picked up some very valuableconfidence from that. A third pillar of inspiration is the continuingideological struggle against the dogmas: political, monotheistic, moraldogmas that keep getting a stronger and stronger chokehold on man. Somedangers are growing while others are on the rebound (for now). ENSLAVEDis an ongoing project to channel alternative currents; resistance tothose trying to force-fit the mind into the tiny squares of one-domsand tyrannies.

"After all that hot air, I've asked Cato to provide some thoughts on the new material and the recording process."

Cato:"We started yesterday to set the sound, and from there on the drums fortwo songs were nailed. Today, on the second day, we started at noon andworked our way through three more songs.

"Ivar is veryeasy (to work with) and we are really getting payback for the work putin advance of the recording. I am, in other words, getting close tofinishing my part of the album, and that's fine by me — I would climbthe walls if the whole session would take anything more than a week.

"Thesongs are, like always, pretty varied both in mood, speed and style.The cool thing is that none of us actually know how it's gonna turn outin the very end. What ideas Ice Dale has for guitar solos, only he knows.

• 5 months later...