The Devin Townsend Band

• 3 weeks later...

The projected artwork for STRAPPING YOUNG LAD mastermind Devin Townsend's next solo album, entitled "Ziltoid the Omniscient", has been posted online at this location (art created by Travis Smith). Devin described the material on the CD as a mix between STRAPPING YOUNG LAD and THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND. The album, which will be released early summer (through Inside Out Music) under the DEVIN TOWNSEND banner instead of THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND, was recorded completely by Devin, who took care of the singing, guitar, bass, synthesizers and sampling duties, in addition to mixing and producing the CD on his own. Devin has stated on the HevyDevy forums that he used "the drumkit from Hell" on this release — the same kit that was previously utilized by MESHUGGAH on "Catch Thirty-Three" and which was developed by MESHUGGAH's Tomas Haake.

With regards to the album's storyline, Devin's wife Tracy stated in the latest HevyDevy newsletter, "The story as follows (without revealing too much): Ziltoid The Omniscient, a four-dimensional alien has come to earth and is currently hovering five miles above Qatar. Beaming messages to the earth, including video, music, and words, His Omniscient-ness has one dimension up on us humans, allowing him control over time. But, in order to bend time he requires the perfect fuel — BLACK COFFEE — found in abundance on only one planet in the omniverse... Earth. He plays guitar and sings, is moody and a bit sensitive, with his first record due in late June. Surrounded by nymphs and prancing plasma beings, the album was produced by Devin Townsend in the hangar of the Ziltoidian space barge. All hail Ziltoid and his Infinity metal! Prepare your finest brew! Ziltoid doesn't want to destroy the earth now...he just wants to be known as the best guitar player and get lots of chicks."

Z1fltsm.JPG

This should be good...oh yes

Devin began work on the new Darkest Hour album in late February. They will be recording over six weeks at the Warehouse and Greenhouse studios in Vancouver. Devin is embracing his new outlook on producing. "Every record I've done up to this point has been mixed by others, and the ones that haven't have been mixed in poor or rushed conditions. The Ziltoid record as well as Darkest Hour are the first things I've had complete control over. Ziltoid was mixed at home, and sounds great, but DH sounds awesome and I can't wait for people to hear what I can do. I plan to produce MANY bands, while doing my own records in between. This way I can also play with the kid, and all is going well.

If you look up Darkest Hour on YouTube, you can see their webisodes that document our progress... fun stuff, great guys and a killer album."

Following Darkest Hour, Devin is doing the vocal productions for Soilwork and HIMSA, then recording the third full Zimmers Hole, this time for Century Media.

Also on his time "off" (yeah, right.) Devin recorded a guitar track on an upcoming compilation album from Magna Carta Records. While he initially declined the request, once presented that it was a bit of a 'competition' to create insane guitar music, he had to do it. You may find this song to be his most impressive and challenging guitar work to date. Because he was writing this song at the same time as the Ziltoid album, the 'over-the-top' guitar work also influenced that record as well. The title of the track is 'Nerd Alert'.

On top of all of that, he also recorded a guitar solo on the new album for A Life Once Lost with whom he became friends on the Ozzfest tour.

Given the new addition to the HDR family, after 10 years we are now looking to move our headquarters. We have accumulated a lot of 'memorabilia' in this time and rather than move it or throw it away, we have decided to make it available on eBay. Some are plentiful amounts of promotional posters, a few left-over tour shirts, whereas others are one-of-a kind items. It will be like an HDR garage sale. The sale will likely begin about May and run through summer. When we are ready, there will be an announcement over the email news and the website.

gledao sam ova sranja na youtube...mnogo se ugojio Dev..do jaja izgleda :D

• 2 weeks later...