Deftones | Crosses †††

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

At DEFTONES bassist Chi Cheng's routine checkup on May 19, 2010, it was apparent to Dr. Joseph Nguyen, who has followed his progress for the past eight months, that there was marked improvement. He wrote in his progress notes that Cheng was "showing signs of improved neuro function and improved alertness at this time. Increased response to verbal stimuli. Directed movement, with purpose, seen and observed." Amazing report for Cheng, who was involved in a car accident November 3, 2008 and spent much of the last 18 months in a semi-conscious state.

According to Cheng's sister Mae, Nguyen's reaction as soon as he walked into the room and saw her brother was profound. "When he came in, he took one look at Dai [Cheng] and was floored," she said. "He couldn't believe it. He saw a man waking up."

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

mene bilo sramota da kažem da me podseća na obzen, ali eto, nisam jedini... :)

i to baš you've seen the butcher koja je otprilike neka usporena-emo močuggah, ali odlična stvar... opet, u suštini nema loše pesme na albumu... i dalje ga slušam...

cool, mene pomalo, tek tek..

mnogo dobar, stvarno..

Album fantazija...

Deftones .. eh :wub:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Administrator

Novosti od Deftonesa

MONDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2010

Chi Cheng is "waking up"

Dear Family,

Love you! Love you! Love you all so much! Thank you for staying for the long haul!

There really wasn’t much to report in the last blog other than about the absolutely awesome EXIT concert on August 14. There were so many wonderful people there, some of which I knew from facebook or OneLove. One of the women that really touched my heart was Roxanne. I got her phone # and we planned to have her come up for a visit. She came and has been such a joy to all of us. She is a strong woman of faith with a heart to serve. I think that she is in for the long haul too.

Chi has been comfortable with her and responds to her voice. She talks to him on and off all day encouraging him and telling him that he is going to recover.

A week ago Chi had a Baclofen Pump implanted to relax his legs and feet more, as they were always tense. Then he pretty much slept for a week, hardly opening his eyes and losing the muscle in his chest, arms and legs from not moving a muscle. Yesterday Mae called the Doc to ask about reducing the dose because he was so unresponsive.

Then in the afternoon, he opened his eyes wide and seemed to “wake up”. Roxie kept telling him to lift up, try to sit up. He started lifting his arms and shoulders and head off the pillow. I was at the computer with my back to them and she called my name. He continued to try with everything that he had to lift up off of the bed. I grabbed the video cam to catch part of it. I started counting at about #6 and he lifted himself at least 25 times. It was not very far off of the pillow, but he was concentrating so hard and will continue to improve we are sure.

Again last night, she asked him to try lifting himself up. She started counting 1, 2, 3, and trying to have him pull up on the count of three. Sometimes he made it, sometimes not. But he was trying so hard and lifted about 35 times.

Gina has worked so hard for this man for so long. If she has any little shortcoming it is a lack of patience. Waiting for things to happen is not agreeable to her. She wants him to have the best and she wants it NOW!

I have come to feel like when God wants him up, God will make it happen. Of course, good care helps and getting him professional rehabilitation with the right equipment would make it much easier. I texted Gina last night before we spoke to ask how much exactly it would take to get Chi to NJ or NY and how close we were to that goal. This is Gina’s department and she takes care of it. We are about a third of the way to the $100,000. to get him there.

Then we talked. When she heard what he was doing, she choked and started crying like a little girl and babbling over and over “Thank you God! Thank you God! Thank you God! Thank you for hearing me! Thank you for answering my prayers!” Sobs and Gratitude for a long time. I imagined Him smiling at her saying “You never doubted. Why are you surprised?”

When Gina collected herself she could hear Roxie coaxing Chi. I put Gina on speaker so she could talk to Chi. He always responds to her voice too. She talked to him again about “baby steps” and recovery.

I hope that you will check in often because I think that there will be much more to blog about from now on.

He is I think we can safely say now “waking up” and “actively participating” in his therapy and recovery. Now the real work starts.:) I know you will keep the prayers coming! Respect and love!

- Jeanne

• 2 weeks later...