Porcupine Tree

Vitamin K Experience

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Od strane osobe koja je prisustvovala SW-ovom in store meetingu i davannu autograma:

Well....

where have I been? I've been to Cardiff. Who did I spend over an hour with? Why, our friend Mr Wilson.

Exhausted. Happy.

It's always a frustrating thing. You play through in your mind before you go how you want it to happen, and it doesn't. Mainly because the nerves and adrenalin kick in (yes, even I get excited sometimes).

Horrible, horrible drive through grey drizzle and rain to cardiff. Got there early to be at the head of the queue... which paid off. I estimate about 70 people turned up to get stuff signed and shake SWs hand etc.

He was amazingly polite, given that it must be quite an arduous task, and one he doesn't HAVE to do. He treated each person with courtesy and a smile, and signed copious things. Thr guy beside me had brought.... well, everything by PT, and some No-man for signing.

Interesting what was being signed. A lot of Insurgentes, obviously, including about ten SE books. A lot of PT. a good number of Blackfield. Very little of anything else. A couple of No-man. One IEM vinyl.... two UEM. I think I was the only person bringing any Bass Communion. He signed for me:

Ocean Song by No-man 12" single ("Haven't seen this in nearly 20 years!!" he said)

No-man Schoolyard Ghosts (already signed by Tim Bowness, as a prize for winning the No-man street team promotion competition last year).

Bass Communion : Pacific Codex. Told him I loved that one.

Bass Communion : Ghosts on Magnetic Tape. We both agreed we loved that.

No-man promo single Break-up for Real (only 100 copies exist! Steven didn't know it did and said he ought to try and get one.)

Insurgentes : Big book

Insurgentes : Regular retail (bought there).

As I was at the front of the queue, having done the hand shake, signing and photos...

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/s...r/SBmeetsSW.jpg

I stayed by Steven, listening to all the questions, and seeing what was being signed. Then after everyone had gone I stayed and chatted with him.

So what did I learn? Well, the commonest question asked was "when will you play Cardiff?"... which he couldn't answer, as it's down to his management where he plays, and Cardiff doesn't have a suitable mid-size venue, perhaps.

New album... is written. They start the recording this coming Sunday (15th March), hoping to get it finished by May, and the release is set for the end of September. It's scheduled to be a double. The first CD is one long 55 minute track ("Epic" said our man Steven). Then the 2nd CD will be a whole load of shorter tracks. "But plans can change" said Steven, so nothing is certain. I think he's going HEAVIER with this one, as there was mention of "drop B tuning" which to me sounds "interesting".

Will there be a 5.1 mix? "Of course...." he laughed. Guest musicians? He was tight lipped on this one.

He talked a lot about Insurgentes. Obviously very pleased with it. Gave his stock answer about lyrics "I don't know what I was singing...". Seemed very pleased with walls of sound on the album. Seemed intrigued that I had transcribed much of the lyrics for PTF. Claims he knows PTF but doesn't have the time to ever visit here.

I sent him love from Krys ("thank you") and regards from GK (SoD), who he thinks very highly of, it seems.

I had a long discussion with him about abstract noises. The bzzzt bzzt in All Sweet Things, in the right rear channel just as Tim sings "The schoolyard ghosts..." He was intrigued, as he said he didn't know it was there, was probably feedback and would have to go listen himself. But it led on to a conversation about him not liking things "clean". I pointed out my other bugbear, the whistle in the middle of Shesmoveon, and he tells me it is guitar feedback that he decided should stay in there, though was accidental.

We talked about No-man. Wild Opera hoping to see a release again soon. He reiterated what TBo had told me, that the problem is with the cover art. When I asked if L&L would ever see a rerelease.... we had a set to. He dismissively said "No one would want THAT thing....." I was shocked, and told him it's my favourite thing he's ever done.... and we had a little arguement about it. (Personally I think his opinion of it is tainted by the fact he's never made a penny from it, and it was a very unhappy relationship with OLI.

I then told him exactly what I thought of the HK video. Indeed. I used the S%^t word. He was taken aback, telling me he was "REALLY pleased with it". He tried to sway me by explaining its homage nature to independent film. But we ultimately agreed to disagree. He loves it. I think it's crap. But he was ok about hearing something negative. When I told him I didn't "get" a few of his BC projects, but assumed he was ok with that, he totally agreed.

Lots more... but this has gone on too long.

He's much smaller than I remembered. But very nice. Stubble was evident on chin. He was drinking OJ out of a starbucks cup all the time. He's been vegetarian for 12 years.

All in all, a very successful afternoon. Thank you SW for being so patient with me, and hello to all the nice people I met in line. Very nice people.

I came. :da:

Edited by Et in Arcadia Ego

• 3 weeks later...

evo novi Live:

Porcupine Tree - Ilosaarirock (Live, 2009)

n6xcvm.jpg

01. Intro

02. Fear Of A Blank Planet

03. Lightbulb Sun

04. Open Car

05. Anesthetize

06. Blackest Eyes

07. Way Out Of Here

08. Sleep Together

09. Trains

10. Halo

This is the CD sent out to members of Residents of a Blank Planet fanclub.

Recorded live at Ilosaarirock Festival, Finland on 14th July 2007, includes the band's complete performance remixed from the multitrack recording made by Finnish radio. Sent out only to members of the Residents of a Blank Planet ticketing club. Not available elsewhere. Also known as Transmission 10.1

http://rapidshare.com/files/217879620/Porc...losaarirock.rar

evo novi Live:

Porcupine Tree - Ilosaarirock (Live, 2009)

n6xcvm.jpg

01. Intro

02. Fear Of A Blank Planet

03. Lightbulb Sun

04. Open Car

05. Anesthetize

06. Blackest Eyes

07. Way Out Of Here

08. Sleep Together

09. Trains

10. Halo

This is the CD sent out to members of Residents of a Blank Planet fanclub.

Recorded live at Ilosaarirock Festival, Finland on 14th July 2007, includes the band's complete performance remixed from the multitrack recording made by Finnish radio. Sent out only to members of the Residents of a Blank Planet ticketing club. Not available elsewhere. Also known as Transmission 10.1

http://rapidshare.com/files/217879620/Porc...losaarirock.rar

Toooooooooooooooo!!!! Hvala puno! :D :D :D

Kako bi voleo da gledam PT. Mozda od Progressive Metal bendova najvishe njih bi voleo da vidim.

Kad ce novi album!

Slažem se u potpunosti. Uz Opeth, DT i PoS, Porcupine je jedan od bendova čije koncerte planiram da odgledam kad tad. :D

Hehe, super je "Ilosaarirock", ali ipak ga smatram a mere appetizer-om pred glavno jelo (snimljeno jesenas) koje se nadam da ce do kraja godine da izbace. Steta sto "Sentimental" nije tu sa Fear-a.

Kako bi voleo da gledam PT. Mozda od Progressive Metal bendova najvishe njih bi voleo da vidim.

Imaju povremeni dz-dz, ali ne bih im ja turao metal etiketu ;]