Opeth

Baal

Pih, nije im neka pesma za kraj svirke, mogli su bilo koju drugu sa poslednjeg kada već ciljaju na noviji materijal.

Uh brate, meni Hex Omega jedna od boljih pesama sa albuma, ako ne i najbolja. Dešavalo mi se da jedva čekam kraj albuma samo zbog one doomy bakljade na kraju pesme :D

According to Nero of Arte Sonora, a Portuguese music and pro audio magazine, Peruvian drummer and percussionist Alex Acuña — who played with the fusion/prog jazz band WEATHER REPORT and performed/recorded with Elvis Presley, Peter Gabriel, THE CULT, Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea — makes a guest appearance on "Heritage", the new album from Swedish progressive metallers OPETH.

Edited by Talvi

To ease the pain of having to wait over three full months (!) to hear the new album from Swedish progressive metallers OPETH called Heritage (due out on September 20th via Roadrunner Records), BraveWords.com caught up with leader/prog-metal visionary Mikael Åkerfeldt this week for a quick overview of the band's next magnum opus!

"We recorded 12 songs, where ten are on the album," says the frontman. "Two songs are being saved for the special edition. So there's ten songs and Per (Wiberg; former keyboardist) is still on the album even though he isn't in the band anymore. He's playing keyboards on the entire album. I'm plating keyboards too. We also have new keyboardist Joakim Svalberg (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, GLENN HUGHES) who is going to tour with us. He's not a member yet. We just did the first show with him (at the Bonnaroo Music And Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee) a few days ago. He's also on the album playing the opening number ('Heritage'). The songs are all over the place. I'd like to think that all of the songs have their own identity so to speak. One song is a little tribute to RONNIE JAMES DIO (called 'Slither') and it's a kind of gimmicky sounding song, tongue-in-cheek. The working title of that song was called 'Kill The Queen'. It's done as a tribute to him because we love him so much. The other songs move from folk music to prog-rock to jazz, crossed with PINK FLOYD and fusion like HERBIE HANCOCK or WEATHER REPORT. We actually have the (former) drummer/percussion player from Weather Report on the album - Alex Acuña (ELVIS PRESLEY, PETER GABRIEL, CARLOS SANTANA). We also have a Swedish fusion flutist who is playing a flute solo to a doomy riff. It's all over the place and a fun listen. It's really challenging and I don't think it's boring. It's very complex with a beautiful mix and a beautiful master. It was mixed by Steven Wilson (PORCUPINE TREE) and myself and mastered by a guy by the name of Peter MEW at Abbey Road Studios in London who has engineered many, many obscure records that I've collected over the years. It was recorded at an old, vintage studio in Stockholm called Atlantis studios, which used to be a record label called Metronome. It's where ABBA did all their albums pretty much. So back to these songs, I don't know how to explain what they sound like. They are all over the place. And one song is not representative of the whole album."

Mene zanima kako je Aksenrot ispratio sve to, jer je pokazao da je više u metal fazonu nego njegov prethodnik. Nadam se da album neće zvučati kao da metalci pokušavaju da sviraju folk/prog/jazz/rock.

Edited by Lou
  • Upvote 2

Iskreno, koliko god (maltene neogranicene) vere da imam u mikaela lose mi sluti sve ovo proseravanje i onaj retardirani album art.. bice ovo po svemu sudeci mikin magnum opus tribute svim grandioznim "vecim od zivota" bendovima 70-tih, sto moze biti do jaja a moze da ispadne i prilicno uzasno..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mene zanima kako je Aksenrot ispratio sve to, jer je pokazao da je više u metal fazonu nego njegov prethodnik. Nadam se da album neće zvučati kao da metalci pokušavaju da sviraju folk/prog/jazz/rock.

Sa Opethom oko toga ne bi trebalo da bude nikakvih problema, da je neki drugi bend u pitanju bio bih i te kako skeptičan.

Iskreno, koliko god (maltene neogranicene) vere da imam u mikaela lose mi sluti sve ovo proseravanje i onaj retardirani album art.. bice ovo po svemu sudeci mikin magnum opus tribute svim grandioznim "vecim od zivota" bendovima 70-tih, sto moze biti do jaja a moze da ispadne i prilicno uzasno..

Potpisujem.

• Upvote 1

OPETH guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt has recorded ten hour-long shows for the Swedish national radio (Sveriges Radio). The first program was broadcasted on Sunday, June 19 and will be followed by another episode each Sunday at 11 p.m. for the coming 10 weeks. The show is based on Mikael's love for obscure vinyl records, and he is playing actual vinyl on the show, with crackle and all.

The already aired shows are also available as streamed audio at this location. (Note: The show is recorded in Swedish.)