Dream Theater

bu

Btw, pročitah onaj intervju, odrađen sa Portnoyem nedavno i naposletku saznao sam nekoliko zanmljivosti. Elem..

Blistering.com: For those who haven’t heard it yet, what does it sound like?

Portnoy: It’s what you’d expect from Dream Theater, if you know Systematic Chaos, our last album, it’s the next natural step from there. It’s kept a lot of dark and heavy elements, I think it sounds likes a modern band and modern album in 2009. We never want to sound like some band from the 70s or 80s. I don’t think we do. I think this album could sit side by side sonically with anything out there today, whether it be Slipknot or Trivium. But at the same time it’s got all those classic Dream Theater elements that were laid down in the foundation 20 years ago. We haven’t really changed the style, we just kind of rolled with the times, with the sounds.

Poprilično je jasno zašto će novi album, odnosno zašto ono što smo čuli u ove dve pesme zvuči tako kako zvuči. Lame je spominjati modernizaciju u zvuku benda, ali je jasno da su "podlegli" toj trci sa vremenom, želeći da pri tom urade nešto što će im dovesti novu publiku (onaj deo sa Slipknotom i Triviumom), uz naravno "obraćanje" starijoj publici sa onim što su radili u ranoj fazi svog rada. Sad za ovo drugo i nisam siguran koliko su uspeli u tome, ali da sačekamo album, te će nam biti jasnije. Bar se nadam.

----

Govoreći o bonus cover disku:

Blistering.com: Are they songs people would expect Dream Theater to cover?

Portnoy: A couple of them. I picked a range. A couple of metal tunes, a couple of prog tunes, a couple of classic rock tunes. A few music fans would know and a few of them are pretty obscure that maybe they won’t know and I thought that was cool because we can maybe introduce some people to new bands that they’ll love. Like Metallica have done covering Diamond Head or Budgie, introduce people to bands they grew up with. So I thought it could be cool to pull out a couple of obscure ones and give these bands some exposure.

Obscure? :) Burzum, Darkthrone? :) Šalu na stranu, možda će mi biti zanimljivije da slušam taj bonus disk, nego sam album, ali videćemo. Što se mene tiče, ja bih voleo da vidim nešto od Camela ili Comusa. Ne znam koliko su "navučeni" na Comus, znam da je Akerfeldt poprilično u tom tripu, no dobro.

----

Blistering.com: Moving off Dream Theater, for a moment what can you say about rumours of a supergroup between yourself, Mikael Akerfeldt [Opeth] and Steven Wilson [Porcupine Tree]?

Portnoy: You know, it’s something the three of us spoke about years ago and one of us, I don’t remember who, stupidly mentioned in an interview and it’s haunted us ever since. Mike and Steven have been friends, they’ve been talking about collaborating for a long time and I would totally love to do it cause I love those guys, get on great with them and respect them as artists and musicians. So, it’s just a matter of timing, because the three of us are three of the busiest people in music.

Eh... Šta reći na ovo. Supergrupa decenije u najavi? :) Samo, koje decenije? :) Kakva bi to magija bila. Voleo bih da negde tu metnu i Gildenlöwa, pa da postave standard. :da:

----

Blistering.com: One of the other bands you’ve been involved with OSI, their most recent album Blood is the first not to feature you on drums. Was it just scheduling problems that meant you couldn’t be involved with it?

Portnoy: No it wasn’t a time factor, it was really a chemistry factor that boils down to my experience doing the first two OSI albums. To be honest with you working with Kevin Moore [former Dream Theater, Chroma Key] is just not much fun. He’s really a very… I’ll put it politely, he has his ways of working which aren’t very conducive to collaboration and it was kind of frustrating the first two albums that I did with him that I did not have any reception to collaboration. That’s alright ‘cause I’ve done sessions where I’ve just gone on and played drums, like with Neil Morris or the G3 tour with John Petrucci, I’m fine with that, but as long as it’s still fun. But it’s not even fun with Kevin, he’s just very uptight, serious, so I figured “why would I do this again? It’s not anything I can contribute to artistically.” It’s not even really that much fun. So I passed on doing it. It’s a shame because Jim Matheos [Fates Warning, Gordian Knot] is one of my best friends and I love him and I’d still love to work with him in some sort of project. But it really isn’t a fun situation for me with OSI.

Hm.. Nisam znao da je situacija sa Kevinom u toj "zategnutosti". Sarađivali su na prethodna dva OSI-ja, može biti pod nekakvom presijom i Kevinove želje za "osvetom", nesumnjivo da su obojica odlični muzičari, a realno i bolje je što Portnoy nije na OSI-ju više. Samo se nadam da ćemo dočekati nešto novo od Chrome, to bi bilo fino. :da:

Kompletan intervju:

Page 1

Page 2

Eh... Šta reći na ovo. Supergrupa decenije u najavi? :) Samo, koje decenije? :) Kakva bi to magija bila. Voleo bih da negde tu metnu i Gildenlöwa, pa da postave standard. :da:

----

Ja mislim da bi u toj supergrupi ipak glavni vokal bio Portnoy. :) 

Zanimljivo ono za Kevina. Covjek bi mislio da ta ponovna saradnja,samim tim sto se desila,ima pozitivnu konotaciju. Samo mi nije jasno sto je odradio 2 albuma sa njim,ako je tako.

Od tolikih vokalnih "sposobnosti" Akerfeldta i Wilsona, staviti Portnoya na vokale bio bi poduhvat ravan pronalasku nafte u planinskom vencu Anda :)

Ne znam koliko je to bilo između Kevina i Portnoya, mišljenja sam da je Portnoy učestvovao na OSI-jima zbog Jima Matheosa, sa kojim je veliki prijatelj.

Edited by AstralliS

izdao je sve. izacice taj album i opet cemo da se smorimo... eeee, da je srece i pameti, da casno ostare kao valjan prog kult. ovako ce samo da se ofucavaju sve vise i vise sa svakim novim albumom. ako se slucajno travis barker i portnoy pocnu druziti ocekujemo surf punk rifove na 11. albumu. realno. deda, fabrika cigli, jedna nije dovoljna.