Iron Maiden

Black Knight

Za malo vise UG orijentisane, misljenje King Fowleyja iz Deceased o novom albumu

Iron Maiden is the greatest heavy metal band ever assembled!!! their knack for writing incredible melodies intertwined with cool heavy riffs while soaring yet powerful vocals and a rhythm section that no one dare touch in heavy metal world has always kept things intense as fuck. add in never doing anything but their own thing for almost 4 decades no matter whats hip or selling that week and you really have a special force no one can touch and must admire. from the raw dianno rock n roll beginnings through air raid siren heavy metal velocity times a zillion to the bruce has left us yet we march on years down to the very deep later 'lengthy' 3 guitars on tap material, i just have a place in my heart for their overall sound and delivery no matter what names end up on the record. well here it is 2015 and the new record 'the book of souls' has finally come to my speakers. 11 new tunes are here to enjoy and love... and love it i did! and after one complete listen here's what i took away from it all....lead off track 'if eternity should fail' is instantly a very heart touching dark track with a downbeat HEAVY vibe that works to perfection. dickinson voice has a real haunting quality this go 'round and this song is just classic! this track gets a 10 right out of the gate from me. I dig the production too. good overall mix and sounds more powerful to me than other Keven Shirley productions for the band. good drums, good tones, good mix! second cut 'speed of light' is the song most have heard as it's been floating around the internet for 2 weeks now. i dug it out of the box as it reminds me of the younger power driven 1980's years almost coming off like a lost nwobhm single found in geoff barton's gym locker. great energy and easily shows that these old geezers still play with passion and fire. 'the great unknown' comes third and is the first really lengthy track. a lot of guitar solos fall throughout this and it sets a mystic vibe up for a long run through various emotions. a tad long perhaps but i get the overall vibe they are going for. 'the red and the black' is the only time harris gets set free to start and end a tale with the bass notes this go round. a good little vocal section that arenas the world over will be chanting on the live front will definitely show you a side of maiden you love and have heard before. 'when the river runs deep' is uptempo and moving with a nice change of pace that works great while those steve harris bass fingers twingle and bang out the power. the title cut is a lengthy track that has a few oddball riffs that are woven inside a repeated music passage that carries the song. 'death or glory' is definitely a favorite of mine. instant catchy and with a lot of coolness and stylish dickinson aura hovering all over it. the voice is brilliant on this one! 'shadows of the valley' has a intro riff not far removed from a classic older tune back from somewhere in time that leads in nicely to a really cool and catchy track (amazing chorus to me, so emotional) and some really nice drum bits from nicko too. 'tears of a clown' is probably as close on this record to rock n' roll as maiden has been in some time, along with that cowbell in 'speed of light'. it's still not that close to it overall, but its got a bit of a lost sound strewn within. 'the man of sorrows' has a cool swing to it with a nice use of keys keeping it majestic. great solo passages as well here. goes almost to a free form jam as well if you let it smile emoticon! a piano opens up the last track on the record, this one has been talked of alot since it was announced this was a 18 minute song called 'empire of the clouds' penned by dickinson. violins come to the forefront too as it builds momentum. reminds me a lot of one of maiden's biggest influences jethro tull it swings and marches and lets loose many sides to the bands music ideals during its entirety. is it too long at 18 minutes? not in the least! it really lets you get lost in the emotional musical journey and wordings inside the tune. even adding a few new ideas to the maiden formula! and a simply great finale to it!!!

once again iron maiden has really proven themselves kings of it all with a very creative and thought out record and not just rehashed past glories to be 'safe' and predictable. anyone that's enjoyed the more recent albums will have no problem getting into this. some of those 'they've sucked since they added keyboards' or 'this doesn't sound like the trooper' won't be reborn to 1983 again. but if you really, really, REALLY love great musicianship and genuine damn good songs by great players this record will shine for years to come in your ears mind and collection. for me it's the album of the 2015 year after one listen and i stand as tall and speak as loud as i can and say UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP THE IRONS!!!!!!!